December deals?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoovy, you aren't mssing anything. Most Bay Area dealers best pricing is at invoice. Some are below, but they are older BEV models that, because of color or whatever have become hanger queens. Tough to. Find a new Rex below invoice.

What is the lease credit and usaa credit?

Is the lease credit just passing back some of the federal tax credit?

If buying, I am being offered $6,000 off msrp for a BEV.

Is that comparable, better or worse?

Bay Area.

Rower said:
Is the lease credit just passing back some of the federal tax credit?

If buying, I am being offered $6,000 off msrp for a BEV.

Is that comparable, better or worse?

Bay Area.

Yes, it's just passing back some of the federal tax credit. Pre tax credit, your offer is better than spoovy's by about $1K, but in addition you'll be eligible for an additional $2K Federal by buying vs leasing. If you were eligible for the USAA incentive that would be in addition to the discount you've already negotiated.

In mid-November, $8,200 off MSRP on a Mega BEV that looks like a panda. That's a 17% discount off MSRP and didn't include federal/state/BMWCCA incentives.

If you wait until the penultimate or last weekend in December, when the dealers are red-lining to beat Mercedes-Benz, that's when the deals will get loco.

I think I have gotten to the bottom of why the discounts from list have varied so much recently.

Sure, for some of the deals it could be that the dealer sold it at a loss to move it. But there was a specific time window in October or so where BMW gave the dealers an "Extra" discount on i3's (both BEV and Rex) in the $4K-$5K range. For those i3's in my dealer's inventory, they are able to pass along that additional savings to me, so a "standard" $3K off the car from MSRP (roughly $1K over invoice) , plus that additional "Pre-Tagged" (their words) discount of $4-5K, plus any leasing incentives (in December $5500 Lease deal plus $1000 Holiday Credit).

Unfortunately, my local dealer does not have any of these "Pre-Tagged" ones left that meet my needs, as I want a very specific configuration that they do not have on the lot, so I would get $3K off plus the incentives for them to locate one for me.

Just wanted to pass that info along here, it might be good for you guys to call around and explicitly ask for these ones that were "pre-tagged" with the additional $4-5K of discount in the October timeframe. My configuration is more rare, a loaded Tera Rex in Andesite Silver, so I doubt I will be able to find one, as several hours of research yesterday showed me that most of the inventory out there is more so in the Mega and Giga trim. But for those more flexible on the spec, you might be able to find a killer deal on one of these pre-tagged discounted ones...

spoovy said:
Any thoughts on the following deal. Bay Area dealer, BEV. New car, just arriving into stock in the next few days (i.e. hasn't been sitting on the lot).

MSRP: 50,350
Invoice: 46,495
Dealer sell 47,350 ($855 markup on invoice, dlr discount of 3,000)
BMW Holiday cash: 2,000
USAA incentive: 1,000 <-- I thought this was $500 on BMW FS leases, but apparently they checked and it's 1,000 now!?
BMW lease credit: 5,500
FINAL PRICE 38,850 ($11,500 off MSRP)

I may be able to get the markup down to a more reasonable $500, but wanted to get a check with the experts given this is December!

Would like to pull the trigger today!

Spoovy - that seems pretty awesome. What are are the leasing prices they are giving you for 36 months with what amount down/drive off ? Remember you will have to pay tax on the lease credit, DMV etc... that will probably be about $1,000 plus CA county tax on the monthly lease. Very curious to hear. I am looking for a BEV with tera (can't stand light leather) but don't seems to be getting anyone to work on discounts other than the national advertised deals.

at end of day on 36 months, it looks as follows. i'm not averse to putting more down, so this may not be best for every situation:

i3.png

note the security deposits are refundable at end of lease term, but reduce the money factor.

it's an incentive negotiated between BMW & USAA. It's available to property & casualty customers of USAA.

usaabmw.png

AstroZ said:
I had to purchase a bit remotely, but I did get 12.3% off earlier this month.
My dealer is quoting me an OC with no money down for $396.00 a month for 24 months on a BEV with a MSRP of $49,875. Car includes Parking Assist, Tech Package, Giga World, HK Surround, DC Fast Charge and Heated Seats. 12K miles per year and a residual of $38,921.25. He tells me that in order to get that payment they added $7,500 to the residual of 63%. I am curious as to why this is and whether I'm getting a good deal. I know that it may be a very high risk proposition should I decide to turn the car in after the 24 months since the value of the car would be way less than the quoted residual.

Test drove the i3 on an extended 3 day offer and cannot wait to park one in my garage for good. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

AstroZ said:
My dealer is quoting me an OC with no money down for $396.00 a month for 24 months on a BEV with a MSRP of $49,875. Car includes Parking Assist, Tech Package, Giga World, HK Surround, DC Fast Charge and Heated Seats. 12K miles per year and a residual of $38,921.25. He tells me that in order to get that payment they added $7,500 to the residual of 63%. I am curious as to why this is and whether I'm getting a good deal. I know that it may be a very high risk proposition should I decide to turn the car in after the 24 months since the value of the car would be way less than the quoted residual. AstroZ you mentioned purchasing remotely would you mind telling me where and for how much?

Test drove the i3 on an extended 3 day offer and cannot wait to park one in my garage for good. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I guessed at your sales price and calculated with a base MF, base acquisition fee, zero down. All fees capped. I would aim for $375/month. That doesn't include the $2,750 excise-tax rebate. The price and options make me think it's a BEV, so that doesn't include monthly fuel savings. That doesn't include the HOV sticker, which lets you drive solo in the express lanes of an area with some of the worst traffic in the country. A $50K car for less than $400/month, with zero down. That's extraordinary.

LeasematicDeal.png

websterize said:
I guessed at your sales price and calculated with a base MF, base acquisition fee, zero down. All fees capped. I would aim for $375/month. That doesn't include the $2,750 excise-tax rebate. The price and options make me think it's a BEV, so that doesn't include monthly fuel savings. That doesn't include the HOV sticker, which lets you drive solo in the express lanes of an area with some of the worst traffic in the country. A $50K car for less than $400/month, with zero down. That's extraordinary.

LeasematicDeal.png
Hi there websterize... thanks for the very detailed response. Your guess was right on - its a BEV with a sales price of $41,660. I can't recall the exact money factor. Having never done a balloon purchase I am wondering if I'm getting any benefit by getting the lower payment now but then being saddled with high negative equity if at the end of the 24 months I am unable to unload the i3 back to dealer if the residual is that much higher than what the car would be worth. How do I get the excise-tax rebate? Thanks again and I look forward to your feedback.

econut said:
I can't recall the exact money factor.
.00125 (3%) is the base MF. Dealers will often mark this up, but you should insist on this with a model-year close out.

econut said:
Having never done a balloon purchase I am wondering if I'm getting any benefit by getting the lower payment now but then being saddled with high negative equity if at the end of the 24 months I am unable to unload the i3 back to dealer if the residual is that much higher than what the car would be worth.
You have to pay back the $7,500 balloon by the end of your term. I'm sending in the check as soon as I get my tax check in the spring. And with OC, you can turn in the car, as you would a lease, at the end of your term and sign up for another. That's my plan. As I recall, the two-year term had the highest RV.

econut said:
How do I get the excise-tax rebate?
You download the form (http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/INFO/27300/27300-71T.htm), print it out and have the finance guy sign it at closing. You have to wait for your title number before submitting. (Same with the HOV sticker form.) After about 30 days, you'll get a check in the mail for a cool $2,750 from the state. Then go take your significant other out for a nice dinner. :D

econut said:
Thanks again and I look forward to your feedback.
My pleasure. Glad to help out another Maryland OUTLI3R. (That's my vanity tag. :cool:

May I ask which dealer is giving you that quote? Thanks

econut said:
AstroZ said:
My dealer is quoting me an OC with no money down for $396.00 a month for 24 months on a BEV with a MSRP of $49,875. Car includes Parking Assist, Tech Package, Giga World, HK Surround, DC Fast Charge and Heated Seats. 12K miles per year and a residual of $38,921.25. He tells me that in order to get that payment they added $7,500 to the residual of 63%. I am curious as to why this is and whether I'm getting a good deal. I know that it may be a very high risk proposition should I decide to turn the car in after the 24 months since the value of the car would be way less than the quoted residual. AstroZ you mentioned purchasing remotely would you mind telling me where and for how much?

I am in Maryland and currently shopping around for an i3 rex. MSRP is $48,200 and the dealer is offering me a discount of $5060 to bring it down to $43140. Is that a good offer?

I am also looking to finance it via the owner choice program and was told the moneyfactor for 3 years is .0017 instead of the moneyfactor .00125 for leases, but I thought I read somewhere that both rates should be equal. Is the dealership trying to make some money off me?

chrisch70 said:
I am in Maryland and currently shopping around for an i3 rex. MSRP is $48,200 and the dealer is offering me a discount of $5060 to bring it down to $43140. Is that a good offer?
No.

chrisch70 said:
Is the dealership trying to make some money off me?
Yes, but he's also under a tremendous amount of competitive pressure this time of year, so lets see if we can help him and get you in an i3!

The Edmunds value of your car is low $44,300k, so aim for a sales price of $44,000. There's $1,000 holiday cash and $5,500 lease cash if you finance through BMWFS. Your MF should not be more than .00125 (that's the base; .0017 is markup) and your acquisition fee should not be more than $725 (again, base; anything higher is markup).

Here's the Rex deal I would shop. The residual will vary a % point or two depending on your annual mileage for the lease. 10K miles a year will yield the highest RV, and 15K around 2 points lower.

s0566ife

I drink the zero-down Kool-Aid. Putting down money on a lease is silly because you lose it if the car is totaled. You could do multiple security deposits and get that back in a loss, but the savings aren't that great for the large upfront cost. I'm happy to pay a bit more in interest for that peace of mind.

And don't forget you'll also be getting a check from the state for $2,750 about a month after settlement. :eek:

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I favor to buy it via the owner choice program to recoup the $7,500 fed tax credit in a few months, so I won't be able to take advantage of the lease cash, as I believe you can only get it for a traditional lease as it includes a portion (4,875) of the tax credit.

I agree on putting down zero and don't mind higher payments throughout the term.

Thanks for confirming the moneyfactor. I thought they try to mark up when I saw .oo17 which comes out to around 4%.

We were only considering the choice plan to have a safety net in terms of the car's future value and if it for some reason plummets, we could return it, but know I think, I might buy it outright with a credit union 1.99% interest loan and no longer worry about the residual value.

On the Maryland credit of $2,750, do you know if funds are limited and only on a first come first serve basis?

I also try to call Maryland to confirm if funds are available, but have not gotten through to the right person yet.

Back