Do you have "BMW connected" or similar app in use in your region?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m6rk

Hi everyone,

When I bought my 1st i3 in December 2014 there was a mobile app that I could see some parameters of my usage, also some anonymous data of i3 community. After a while local distributor stopped supporting this app somehow... Are you using this kind of app in your region?

Are there any 3rd party mobile apps those can get connected with the car?

Thank you,

It is now called the MYBMW app. The early models relied on 3G cell service. In the USA, 3G was discontinued in early 2022 so no more service for 2014-2016 vehicles. Other countries have different rules/services but all connections to the car have to FIRST go through BMW servers. If they no longer allow the car, there is no other way to remotely connect with the car through an App. All the other 3rd party apps rely on an EXISTING connected service being active in the car.

Are there any 3rd party mobile apps those can get connected with the car?
I've got a HomeAssistant installation, and there's a BMW connected drive plugin that I use. Pretty nice, since in addition to checking current values, HA will also log your data, like state of charge, mileage, when you're plugged in, REX fuel level, etc., etc., etc. I access this -- along with other usual home automation stuff -- by VPN-ing into my home network, but you can set up HA for outside access as an online service, which is what most users needing that probably do.

I've got a HomeAssistant installation, and there's a BMW connected drive plugin that I use. Pretty nice, since in addition to checking current values, HA will also log your data, like state of charge, mileage, when you're plugged in, REX fuel level, etc., etc., etc. I access this -- along with other usual home automation stuff -- by VPN-ing into my home network, but you can set up HA for outside access as an online service, which is what most users needing that probably do.
HI Rob

can you share morning info website etc, we have a 2016 and would love to see charge level etc.

I have a 2017, so online still works, but when connecting to BMW servers the display still shows "3G". Someone was a little too specific in the graphics department . . .
Well I'm embarrassed as I bought a 2017 in August. I thought all BMW i3 had lost connectivity with turning off 3G. I'll try to re-register the 2017.

Any hints or lessons' learned?

Bob Wilson

Got it registered but:

"BMW ConnectedDrive is not available for this vehicle."​

A Bluetooth or WiFi workaround would be appreciated.

Bob Wilson

Got it registered but:

"BMW ConnectedDrive is not available for this vehicle."​

A Bluetooth or WiFi workaround would be appreciated.
Did you pay the $120? What is the build date of your car? It is on the Black VIN plate on the door frame (door hinge area)
Also- there is no "bluetooth/wifi workaround". You either have Connected Service or you don't.

I have an Apr 2019 build date. If I pay the $120. What exactly can I expect? Will I see my charge level from my phone? Thanks

For more info on HomeAssistant (HA), check out the website: Home Assistant

The BMW plugin (called an "integration" in HA speak) is here: BMW Connected Drive The integration also has its own github project GitHub - bimmerconnected/bimmer_connected: 🚘 Library to query the status of your BMW or Mini from the ConnectedDrive portal, so if you like python, you can use their code to create your own app exactly the way you like it.

There are also several other automobile integrations in HA for other makes as well.

You do still have to subscribe to the ConnectedDrive service from BMW for HomeAssistant to be able to access the BMW servers to pull the data, so you have to have a car with a cellular modem that works in your area.

HomeAssistant usually runs on a device in your home, since that's it primary purpose -- home automation, but there are a lot of options re: doing this.

Any hints or lessons' learned?
BMW doesn't remind you to renew, the service just stops abruptly a year. So while it doesn't auto-renew, there also isn't even an email or message on the screen! Apparently, no one told the online people how to "shut up and take my money!"

Some cars need to have remote services enabled in the vehicle settings on the infotainment screen.

I failed to find a way to pay the $120 from the web page. Suggestions or just go by the dealer?
• Go to the BMW Connected Drive Website,
• Click the little man icon near the top right corner of the page,
• Log on to your account,
• Click "My Garage",
• Click "View Vehicle Profile" for the vehicle of interest,
• Click the "ConnectedDrive Store" tab,
• Click "Add to Cart" for the $120 BMW Connected Services subscription,
• Click "Checkout" near the bottom right corner of the page,
• Make sure your contact information is correct and click "Continue",
• Add credit or debit card information,
• Click "Purchase Now" near the lower right corner of the page.

Many steps!!

I failed to find a way to pay the $120 from the web page. Suggestions or just go by the dealer?

Bob Wilson

Your exact scenario happened to me with my 2017. Went to the dealer with the: "BMW ConnectedDrive is not available for this vehicle." message. They had me pay for the service using the app while sitting in the service lane. Took a few hours, but then everything worked.

2017's saying 3G is a pretty well documented issue. Word in other forums is that every 2017 is 4G.

BTW, are you the Bob Wilson from Prius "miles after empty" fame? If so, hat's off to you.

Back