Driving on Rex only & not charging battery

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
except that when the Rex engine is running, apparently there is no displayed numeric charge level, so the driver wouldn't know that there might not be any remaining charge

The charge level is displayed, even with the REx engine running - the picture I posted above shows the REx running, and in the top left, a battery icon showing that there is 2% charge remaining in the HV battery pack - granted you have to know it is there, and select it from the optional display items by using the button on the end of the signal stalk.

Indeed, there is (was?) a lawsuit against BMW for sudden power loss when driving with the REx engine running. I thought that this was due to the driver not paying attention to the charge level

You are correct - one of the results of the law suit, was BMW added the warning chime and pop-up message Low Battery. Power Reduction Possible when the state of charge falls below 3%. Before the law suit there was no indication or warning before you lost power.

Many REx owners use the REx engine to drive long distances instead of BMW's intended use
You are right, there are REx owners that use the i3 more like a PHEV - and the REx engine is robust enough, it seems to works for them.

If I were in a situation in which I was running low on gasoline, I would appreciate knowing the charge level so that I could better plan how to charge or refuel.
As shown in the picture above, it is there, you just have to know how to display it - but I agree, BMW could have made it a bit more intuitive.

Back