Replacing my i3 REx 2015

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquare

I’ve just finished cleaning our beloved 2015 REx, which we bought from new. In fact, you may find some early posts of mine from 2014/2015, when I researched the vehicle, planned the purchase and waited those months for delivery from Leipzig.

Back then, it felt like something very special. And to be honest, having just come in from cleaning our i3 and warming up again from the low UK temperatures, it still feels like a privilege driving this car. But at over 102,000 miles, it would be great to have a bit more range and no reliance on the (flawless!) Range Extender.

The car is grouped as a hybrid in the UK and the model year of 2015 still attracts no Road Tax. And understandably so, because over 90% of our journeys have been electric in this car. Our i3 is the local run around car. For towing and longer distances, we use a Passat GTE, which is another fab car. But that’s another story.

Which car next? Well, there is really only one option for us:

I am looking for another, used i3! Probabaly MY 2019 or 2020. There are plenty available with low mileage, similar packages to our 2015 model, at a very reasonable price. I could check for Peugeots, Nissans or e-Golfs. But none of them look, drive or feel like the i3. Heck, the Leaf and Zoe haven’t even got full steering column adjustment!

I might report back soon. P

Update: We looked at VW ID.3 but I couldn’t quite like the car and interior in the same way.

Spotted a 4 year old i3 with low mileage and higher spec than our 2015 REx at a good price and went for it.

Hopefully this will give us 5-6 more pure EV years in a BMW i3 😎

Our i3 metamorphosis has now been completed. The 2015 REx was replaced with an early 2020 i3 120. With only 21k miles in the clock, this one feel firmer and sturdier, which is to be expected. The additional extras such as LED headlights, Adaptive CC and automatic high beam adjust are a welcome extra. And so is of course the range thanks to a larger battery and heat pump.

Only fly in the ointment was the wrongly advertised Apple CarPlay, but I managed to get compensation for this, which I will put towards activating it separately.

So happy that we are sticking with an i3 for the next few years. As I said, there is still nothing quite like it.

Attachments

• IMG_1324.jpeg
    IMG_1324.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 1
I know! I was sceptical at first, but once I saw it, I knew it was the right choice. It’s in pretty flawless condition, too. Hardly any scratches. Very pleased.

I know! I was sceptical at first, but once I saw it, I knew it was the right choice. It’s in pretty flawless condition, too. Hardly any scratches. Very pleased.
Those CFP panels are really durable. I have a 2017 and don’t baby it and it still looks like new..

Those CFP panels are really durable. I have a 2017 and don’t baby it and it still looks like new..
To clarify, the only CFRP content in an i3 is the passenger cabin. It's visible only when opening the doors or hatch or looking at the roof assuming no moonroof. All exterior panels except the roof and glass hatch are thermoplastic, not CFRP. The CFRP passenger cabin provides the structural strength so there's no need for the exterior panels to be expensive CFRP.

Nevertheless, when light impacts occur, the thermoplastic exterior panels flex instead of dent which seems to resist paint damage, a nice feature for sure.

Our i3 metamorphosis has now been completed. The 2015 REx was replaced with an early 2020 i3 120. With only 21k miles in the clock, this one feel firmer and sturdier, which is to be expected. The additional extras such as LED headlights, Adaptive CC and automatic high beam adjust are a welcome extra. And so is of course the range thanks to a larger battery and heat pump.

Only fly in the ointment was the wrongly advertised Apple CarPlay, but I managed to get compensation for this, which I will put towards activating it separately.

So happy that we are sticking with an i3 for the next few years. As I said, there is still nothing quite like it.
I’m glad to see that happiness :). Off topic, but what do you think of your 225xe? I have a diesel X3 which is for towing and longer distances/more luggage, but I’m interested in the 2 series.

To clarify, the only CFRP content in an i3 is the passenger cabin. It's visible only when opening the doors or hatch or looking at the roof assuming no moonroof. All exterior panels except the roof and glass hatch are thermoplastic, not CFRP. The CFRP passenger cabin provides the structural strength so there's no need for the exterior panels to be expensive CFRP.

Nevertheless, when light impacts occur, the thermoplastic exterior panels flex instead of dent which seems to resist paint damage, a nice feature for sure.
Yes, alohart, but it's the glass hatch that bothers me: Why glass, when plastic could bounce back? And why isn't there a replaceable panel, when I clumsily back into a post and destroy that fragile part? The body shop says I have to replace the whole hatch cover, then get the latch programmed ....

Yes, alohart, but it's the glass hatch that bothers me: Why glass, when plastic could bounce back? And why isn't there a replaceable panel, when I clumsily back into a post and destroy that fragile part? The body shop says I have to replace the whole hatch cover, then get the latch programmed ....
I agree! Not only is glass heavier, but it is more fragile and the poor design means that the glass cannot be replaced.

Used hatches have been available in the past, so maybe you could save some money by buying a used hatch.

Thanks for the acknowledgement, Alohart. Checking first with the local trusted body shop, it was suggested that the total cost might be $1500 USD, considering installation, wiring and reprogramming of a replacement hatchback (since a replacement lower panel is not available). Research on eBay revealed that the replacement hatchback, without installation, would be nearly $1500. I went to a local Ace hardware affiliate and bought a cut-to-order sheet of 6-gauge clear vinyl, and used weatherproof tape to attach it across the area, protecting the latch area and defending from precipitation. It's anything but beautiful, but it's effective, and far more rational than a glass panel!

I guess the one point to make in defence of BMW's design decision on glass is that - barring accidents - it should still look good in 10 years time.

A few years back I inherited a Toyota Yaris (I think also sold in the US under a different model name) and the one thing that you could be sure of is that within 6 years from new, the plastic headlight covers would be milky and tired-looking. There aren't many plastics that have the UV-resistance needed to stay looking good on a car that's been out in the sun for a while...

Thanks for the acknowledgement, Alohart. Checking first with the local trusted body shop, it was suggested that the total cost might be $1500 USD, considering installation, wiring and reprogramming of a replacement hatchback (since a replacement lower panel is not available). Research on eBay revealed that the replacement hatchback, without installation, would be nearly $1500. I went to a local Ace hardware affiliate and bought a cut-to-order sheet of 6-gauge clear vinyl, and used weatherproof tape to attach it across the area, protecting the latch area and defending from precipitation. It's anything but beautiful, but it's effective, and far more rational than a glass panel!
ouch, why do that to a great looking car :oops:

I’m glad to see that happiness :). Off topic, but what do you think of your 225xe? I have a diesel X3 which is for towing and longer distances/more luggage, but I’m interested in the 2 series.
Whoops. I need to change my profile. Sold the 225xe about 3 years ago. The car was nice, but we needed a car with legal towing ability, which the 225xe doesn’t have. It even says it in the vehicle papers.

A week before I sold it the suspension in the left front broke, which was a shock. It happened out of nowhere. My local BMW dealership helped me to get some goodwill out of BMW UK, so in the end a £800 bill only required a £200 contribution from me. The vehicle had low mileage and such a defect was very unusual.

Apart from that it was a good car.

Whoops. I need to change my profile. Sold the 225xe about 3 years ago. The car was nice, but we needed a car with legal towing ability, which the 225xe doesn’t have. It even says it in the vehicle papers.

A week before I sold it the suspension in the left front broke, which was a shock. It happened out of nowhere. My local BMW dealership helped me to get some goodwill out of BMW UK, so in the end a £800 bill only required a £200 contribution from me. The vehicle had low mileage and such a defect was very unusual.

Apart from that it was a good car.
Thanks. I'm glad that you got a good result.

I went to a local Ace hardware affiliate and bought a cut-to-order sheet of 6-gauge clear vinyl, and used weatherproof tape to attach it across the area, protecting the latch area and defending from precipitation. It's anything but beautiful, but it's effective, and far more rational than a glass panel!
An i3 owner in an Eastern European country replaced the broken glass panel with one that he expertly fashioned out of a clear, rigid plastic, maybe Lexan. I don't know how he attached the taillights or the panel itself, but it looked pretty good in his photo.

An i3 owner in an Eastern European country replaced the broken glass panel with one that he expertly fashioned out of a clear, rigid plastic, maybe Lexan. I don't know how he attached the taillights or the panel itself, but it looked pretty good in his photo.
Thanks for that tip, Alohart. I considered that myself. Yes, Lexan would be good to use, but I wonder how that person managed to accommodate the compound curves: That panel has a slight arc both left to right and up to down. Being transparent, it could simply cover the lights (as my flexible vinyl does). Maybe a heat treatment would enable some molding? I've also thought about creating a "woodie" panel for it, using slats to conform to the curves. For now, the make-do covering protects from weather, and also thumbs my nose at the "yuppie" image (and impractical design) of BMW.

Latest posts

Back