Dutchi3 New Member

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchi3

Hello dear i3 drivers and wannabees,

As a brand new i3 owner in Utrecht, the Netherlands, I would like to introduce myself a bit. I received a capparis-white i3 BEV with standard interior and wheels last week, after a 3 months wait time (a very long time to wait for something so desirable).
As I am already very familiar with electric driving (I also own a Renault Kangoo Elec'tricite from 2002 for 3 years now, NiCad batteries, practical range 80-100km), the driving experience of the i3 did not overwhelm me that much, but still it is a very big step from the Kangoo to the i3.

To say that the i3 is ahead of it's time is true, as was the Kangoo back then. The Kangoo could also be ordered with a Rex, similar to the i3 Rex, but only ten years earlier :mrgreen:

Still the i3 is not perfect, on the highway it tends to rock back and forth sometimes when the road is wobbly, the short nose is not very well visible when parking, you feel every crack in the road surface, although nicely damped. It is not a flying carpet, but I would not like that either, so I will get used to it.

The Ecopro setting is the one to use, because in citydriving, you don't need that much power unless some M3 want to get humiliated at the traffic light :cool: I managed to have a real-world range of more than 150 km in ecopro mode already, so I am very delighted with the efficiency of this car. I think with careful (non-bmw style) of driving, it should be possible to get 180 km of range -when avoiding highways- in ecopro mode, especially in summer and when the battery has sufficient cycles on it to reach its full potential. I guess the highway range will be around 100-110 km at 100-110 km/h with limited comfort heating/cooling. The cruise control is very important to reach good range figures, even on secondary roads. In the Netherlands, at least in my surroundings, we have the advantage of flat smooth roads without much hills (although it can be windy).

I am a bit worried about the on board charger, I already discovered that not all public charging points are compatible with the 32-amp cord that came with the car. The charger could well be the weakest point in regards to making longer distance trips in unknown territory, until the CCS network has been rolled out. Overnight charging is my common charging regime, so it is not that much of a problem however. It gets very crowded at my home public charge spot since a few months (due to lots of "monstrous" phev's appearing in the small, crowded streets of my home town). Schuko charging works surprisingly good, as tried at my parents place: about 20km/h charging.

I think BMW has taken a very brave step to introduce a car like the i3 as it has already a kult status imho. Bravo!

Nice to meet another Dutch member here, welcome!

What did you mean with 32a compatibility? Wil it not charge at all type 2 charging stations?

@lecram
Ok, some details: chargepoint in Rheden, Gelderland (E-laad AL230) where a phev volvo was already charging with blue ring around the connector. The point is provided by Liander. It recognized my charge card, I plugged the car in but the charging point did not recognize the car and the ring around the connector remained green and did not went to blue. Also the i3 did not show a blue flashing light. I don't think the outlet was out of service. At my home spot, the charge point from e-laad (the monolitic grey older version) which is a 11kw point, works fine, although at 3,7kw. Silly that bmw fits a single fase charger... but that has already been discussed here. I used the 32 amp standard cable that came with the fast charge option. It seems some models/makes of charge points seem not to recognize this cable, maybe you then need a 16amp cable.... which is not included with the car in my case.
For my Kangoo, I have a "Ratio" adapter cable from mennekes to schuko, works fine at 16 amps. Maybe a good idea to have it with me when travelling to unknown places. Not a good thing that you can run into problems with the 32amp cable, depending from what make of charge point one encounters. I will avoid the Liander chargepoints, but will test some more makes of charge points. The newer white colored triangular shaped 22kW chargepoints in Utrecht may allow 7,4kW charging but I did not test this yet.

11 kW = 3x16A (3 Phase) so the max. power for the i3 at 11 kW charge points is always 3,7 kW.
Only 3 phase 22 kW can charge the i3 with 7,4 kW.

Hey Dutch guys and girls,

I have to make a quick confession, i don't own a BMW i3. It was on my list but eventually we bought a Nissan Leaf and a Tesla Model S.
Being enthusiastic about electric cars, i have started a website www.elektrischeauto.com. On this site I will provide information about models, laadpalen (charging points), typical dutch fiscal rules and my own experiences with both cars. To promote the electric car even further, I would be very pleased if you guys, BMW i3 owners, would like to write a review from you own experiences with the i3.
You can contact me via info at elektrischeauto.com.

Thanks and enjoy your smooth rides in the i3 !

Hi,

I have already visited your blogsite and wrote some reactions. I have also seen your cars in real as you live only a few 100 meters from me. I would like to write a review on you site and will invite you for a test drive when I have my i3. Under the condition that I may have a test drive in your Tesla ;)

Hello fellow members,

Some more driving experiences from the Netherlands after 600km of driving. The car draws attention (sometimes even agression) from certain types of drivers with baseball caps and lowered suspension cars; pity for them I am a treehugger so I want to drive efficiently not "sporty". I have never understood what "sporty driving" actually means: the ability to waste a lot of energy in a short time and create noise and pollution by just moving your right foot? How sporty :mrgreen: In ecopro mode, the car invites you to drive in a relaxed manner, which is confusing for petrolheads having certain prejudices/expectations about bmw-drivers I guess.

Another observation is the behavior of the car when doing both regenerative braking and disk braking at once. The regenerative braking continues to work when you take off your foot from the brake pedal, this can be confusing when you approach a traffic light and it turns green. During the time you need to move your foot to the accelerator pedal the car keeps breaking heavily instead of gliding. This is really something to get used to.

Also, I noticed that the regenerative power can be much less in certain circumstances (cold batteries, 100% soc) which is not very predictable at times. Sometimes a lot of recuperation, sometimes much less. It appears to me that the disk brakes are then automatically activated by the car, as I noticed a grinding sound in situations when regenerative braking is noticably weaker without me touching the brakes. When the car's regenerative braking is in full effect, you don't hear this. I did not read about this "feature" anywhere, but somehow it makes sense to me. But it is less efficient of course.

The energy consumption is very good when driving sensibly around town: with mixed speeds up to 80km/h the i3 has an average energy consumption of 13.2 kwh/100km which is pretty good. The battery preheating is a good thing, but when you make multiple short trips in winter with cooling periods in between, I think it will eat away some range unless the preheating is done when connected to a charge point. But it has not been that cold recently, to have a credible experience with this effect.

Cheers,
Dutchi3

After 6 weeks of breakdown I finally got my i3 back. First drive was from Wageningen to Zwolle. On the A50 I charged my car on the FastNed point. 500volt and 175 amp... So that make 87.500 Watt... This charging was really impressive. Just one cup of coffee at the petrol station and I was on my way again. It even charged beyond the "promised" 80%. I didn't go to the max, as I had to go at 84%.
Great service of FastNed is that so far the energy is for free. Hopefully they will build the other 195 stations very soon!

Back