EVSE from amazon or other places

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnort

Any suggestions, comments on the home charger/EVSE you have installed?

I know I need a 30A to charge as fast as the i3 can manage, but might want to get a 40A one for 'future proofing', though that might be a silly idea.

I want to get one with a plug, so I don't have to have an electrician come out if I need to replace it.

So...I'm considering:
http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-VC30GRYU-Versicharge-Electric-Flexible/dp/B00MFVI92S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423587354&sr=8-3&keywords=EVSE
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-EL-51253-Electric-Vehicle-Charging/dp/B00FM7B1AO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423587354&sr=8-1&keywords=EVSE
or
http://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-Electric-Vehicle-Charger-Requires/dp/B00HWGD2CS/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1423587354&sr=8-11&keywords=EVSE (but this has had bad reviews w/regard to service)

Suggestions?

I am assuming you are in the US so you would want a 32amp unit to get the maximum charging rate for an i3. Have you tried clicking on the Clippercreek link at the top of this page? I am very happy with mine..... It came with a plug and a cord long enough to reach across my 3-bay garage.

I have 2. This one is inside my garage (it's not weatherproof so it works inside the garage) and has a dedicated power button to turn it off:
http://www.amazon.com/GE-WattStation-Wall-Mount-Charger/dp/B00FI6TJRQ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1423591833&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=ge+wattstation

and this one outside my garage (which is fully weatherproof):
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVB32-M5L-Evr-Green-Charging-Station/dp/B00DG147MM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JF7Z64T6FTVAJJR596Q

The main thing to decide on is cord length. My internal unit has an 16 foot cord which is fine to reach a single vehicle not parked far away. The external unit has a 25 foot cord and it better if you need to park a bit further from your charging station. My friend has the Leviton unit as well and his stopped working one day. He called up Leviton and they sent him new unit next day air (their cost) - so customer service is great there. I've had no issues with either of my units. If you get a 32Amp unit that charges at or above 7kw you should be fine.

WoodlandHills said:
I am assuming you are in the US so you would want a 32amp unit to get the maximum charging rate for an i3. Have you tried clicking on the Clippercreek link at the top of this page? I am very happy with mine..... It came with a plug and a cord long enough to reach across my 3-bay garage.
How long was the plug, and was there a wait for it to ship?

I assume I could get the 'hard wired' one and have the electrician put a plug on it if the plugged one was too short.

Something to consider...when hardwired, on a 30-32A unit, you can use a 40A supply circuit, but that same one with a plug will require a 50A circuit (the same as one with a 40A output). In the USA, this type of device is required to have a service connection capable of 125% of the constant load (32*125%=40; 40*125%=50A). Note also, the reason for the 50A circuit on a 32-40A device is that there are NO 40A plugs, only 50A ones, and the plug size determines what wiring is required.

It's not a big deal to convert a hardwired unit to one with a plug - essentially, buy a dryer cable set. You have to be careful and use the right panel connector in the EVSE to maintain the water tight connection, though.

I ended up getting the Siemens unit. It's relatively inexpensive, 20ft cable, good reviews, and I had credit at Amazon that covered it entirely.

I considered the clipper creek unit, but the credit at Amazon pushed me over.

The loss of the max charging rate is a little sad, but I'll soldier on.

I just hope the build quality is decent. The reviews were positive about that, so I'm not too concerned.

I recently purchased the GE Durastation charger from Home Depot and have been very happy with it. Hard to beat that price of $449 for 30A continuous. You would have to add your own pig tail cord though, very simple as others have mentioned. I personally prefer the hardwire option, particularly for an outdoor installation.
I got an email today that the Blink indoor unit unit is now $499, that's not bad if you have an indoor application.

I'm in the U.S. and have an extra 240v outlet available (renting the condo and the dryer uses gas instead of electricity). I'd like to get a level 2 EVSE and, since I'm renting, want to get something portable/wall mountable to use the outlet, with a 20+ foot cable. What other things do I need to find out about the circuitry before purchasing the EVSE from Amazon or Home Depot?

First, figure out what size circuit breaker is feeding that plug. If you're lucky, it's a 50A breaker, then, you can use up to a 40A EVSE (the i3 can only use up to 32a, though, but it won't care, but code gets a bit tight). If it isn't a 50A breaker, you need to check to see what size wire was run. If you're lucky, it's 6g. The plug is supposed to match the wiring and circuit breaker. And, for a constant use device, you can't plug something in that uses more than 80% of the rated wiring and CB.

There are no 40A plugs, so if it is a 50A plug, it should have the proper gauge wire and breaker on it. There's more than one type, you'd need to make sure you buy the EVSE with the right one, or buy it and swap it out.

Other than that, if all's well, plug it in and go. Depending on where the dryer plug is, a 20' lead may or may not be long enough. THe longest stock one I've seen is 25'.

You can get a lower powered level 2 charger. The clippercreek LCS-20 would work (assuming the plug is the same). It's only 16A, but it's that's 2x faster than the occasional use one that comes with the car.

Or you can get one of the ones that lets you dial down the max power. The Seimens looks like it allows you to do that.

Check out quickchargepower.com I think they have something that will plug into virtually anything and adapt correctly (you just have to buy the correct plugs). I think their stuff is a bit pricey, but a lot of folks seem to swear by them. Getting 16 amps on 220v continuous will cut down the charging time by a bunch. Call it level 1.5 (not an official term)

Level 1, 120vac input; Level 2, 200-240vac input - the level is NOT tied to the amount of current the EVSE can produce, only the available acv level. In the vehicle, there's an automatic switch that takes the power a different path depending on the input level...path 1 or path 2. SOrt of like your phone charger than can be plugged into 100-250vac; internally, it uses a different path to produce it's output. Depending on the design, it may or may not have internal current limiting, but in the case of the i3, it appears to be 30A continuous, 32A intermittent. Since power=volts*amps, doubling the voltage, at the same amps, gets you double the power, so even a 12A 240 vac device would more than double the stock one that comes with the car in the USA (level 2 is more efficient, so that's why it's more than double). IN Europe, where the normal voltage is 220vac, they get a level 2 EVSE with their cars - it would work in the USA IF you used a suitable plug converter (probably hard to find one rated at the current the thing draws, though).

It isn't all that hard to make an EVSE that will work on 120 or 240 vac, but it is a little more complex...you'd need an autosensing dc power supply to it's internal logic board so it could make the proper vehicle signaling and interlock voltages and power switching circuits designed for the higher voltage possible - and, these are available at a premium over a single voltage device.

Jeffj said:
Getting 16 amps on 220v continuous will cut down the charging time by a bunch.
My Level 2 charger is on a 208 volt, 20 amp circuit, so I have set my EVSE to charge at the maximum safe continuous current, 16 amps, which at 3.3 kW is less than half the maximum i3 charging rate. For our driving needs (charge once/day only while we sleep), this is plenty fast.

alohart said:
My Level 2 charger is on a 208 volt, 20 amp circuit, so I have set my EVSE to charge at the maximum safe continuous current, 16 amps, which at 3.3 kW is less than half the maximum i3 charging rate. For our driving needs (charge once/day only while we sleep), this is plenty fast.

What EVSE are you using? Is it hardwired, plug-in, or hardwired converted to a plug-in?

Ask because I was asking Clipper Creek about the LCS-20 and they're telling me a) converting a hardwire to plug-in possibly voids the warranty and b) the NEMA 10-30 receptacle I have isn't compatible with their systems at all. QuickChargePower has an adapter that should work, but it's $1000, which is what I'd expect for a DC-Fast hardwire setup.

easports82 said:
What EVSE are you using? Is it hardwired, plug-in, or hardwired converted to a plug-in?
I built a plug-in JuiceBox back when kits were available. A 30 amp version is currently sold preassembled.

easports82 said:
Ask because I was asking Clipper Creek about the LCS-20 and they're telling me a) converting a hardwire to plug-in possibly voids the warranty and b) the NEMA 10-30 receptacle I have isn't compatible with their systems at all.
You could order a $39 plug adapter with your JuiceBox.

You might not be able to find a plug to attach to the pigtail that comes on an EVSE sold as a hard-wired version that would meet code (and it almost certainly wouldn't end up waterproof). To change the whole pigtail, you'd have to open the case, and that could void the warranty. Now, functionally, as long as the wire and plug contacts were of sufficient gauge, it would work, but if you had any problems, you may not have a warranty.

easports82 said:

Ask because I was asking Clipper Creek about the LCS-20 and they're telling me a) converting a hardwire to plug-in possibly voids the warranty and b) the NEMA 10-30 receptacle I have isn't compatible with their systems at all. QuickChargePower has an adapter that should work, but it's $1000, which is what I'd expect for a DC-Fast hardwire setup.

For converting, if you meant opening up the evse then yes it probably would void the warranty, but you can add a plug and I don't see any reason on why that would impact the warranty.

I use this with my LCS-25
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PGVZ30/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For $1000, can you change your receptacle instead ?

I suggest that you also take a look at this thread:
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2505

As I mentioned in that thread, I recently bought the Bosch PowerMax EL-51254 from Amazon since it allows for easy installation of a NEMA plug pigtail and has a 25-foot charging cable.

Back