EVSE Location Opinions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffj

I'm going to be installing an EVSE for my on-order i3. I have a 2 car garage with extra storage space all along the right wall, and the i3 will be the only plug-in. I can locate the EVSE anywhere in the garage, as its going to be a new circuit pulled directly from the breaker panel. The question is where to locate the EVSE in the garage. 95% of our access to the house is through the garage and the door into the house is in the middle of the front wall so we walk up and down the middle of the garage for every access. If I mount the EVSE on the front wall, it will mean that the cord will be snaking down the middle of the garage to plug into the i3 (assuming the i3 is on the left). If I mount the EVSE on the left wall, then the cord would snake behind the i3 (or I could back in and plug it in directly), but this would make it less useful if we ever acquire a second BEV. If I mount it on the right wall, then I could park the i3 on the right and plug in on that side, but we have storage for my wife's horse equipment all along the right wall that we access frequently.

I'm leaning towards the front wall, but am curious about the opinions of others. Does the cord snaking through the center of the garage pose problems (e.g. always getting in the way, tripping over cord)? Has anyone else gone through the critical thinking of where to locate an EVSE?

Thanks,
Jeff

I suggest running the cord down the middle, but suspend it from the ceiling so it does not get underfoot. This also gives you the freedom to put the EVSE on any wall. Watch out for the cord length though, they tend to be on the short side!

:) I've has a Prius Plug In since January 2013. Within a week I ordered a Leviton 16a Level EVSE off Amazon. I was able to use a dedicated 20a unused freezer circuit. Using the existing wiring, only adding a 20a GFCI and appropriate receptacle. If i pulled in, the car charging receptacle was on the right rear, about twenty feet away. Eventually, I moved my EVSE across the garage within a few feet from the charging port. It required running another 20a line from the circuit breaker panel about 33 feet through the attic, down the opposite wall where I placed a receptacle and remounted my EVSE. Closer is best, but extra work and cost.

Three weeks ago, I picked up my i3 BEV. In anticipation, I ordered a Leviton 40a, 9.6kWh EVSE a week before and had it in place when I brought my i3 home. The 40a EVSE required a 50a line which i ran to the same location, installing my 40a EVSE. The location is perfect for charging my i3, using about six feet of the charging cable without unwinding.

Best to place your EVSE as close as possible to your vehicle, but ease of installation works well.

hP1R27.jpg

Jeffj said:
curious about the opinions of others. Does the cord snaking through the center of the garage pose problems (e.g. always getting in the way, tripping over cord)? Has anyone else gone through the critical thinking of where to locate an EVSE?

Jeff,
I've tested/tried different mounting locations helping others which helped me best decide my own location. There are several factors to consider as well as questions to ask yourself. Some say that you should always locate near the main electric service panel - considering line loss or distance. But as you indicated, mounting can be anywhere in the garage (with proper wiring size to reduce loss). Another important factor to consider is the ability to charge the EV while parked outside the garage.

I do not recommend situations where you have to walk on / step around the charging cable. Carrying groceries, or heavy items down the center aisle toward the door, you do not want to be banging into the cable while plugged in.

Assuming that you typical pull straight in to the garage (not back in), I think the best general charging station mounting spot for the i3 is on the right side (facing toward the garage) - as close to the garage door as possible. Reason: 1. Easy direct connection to EV with not cables to step over. 2. Cable can be extended out to the driveway for charging when the garage space is occupied. 3. Charging unit can be mounted higher on wall if you wish - as long as you can easily reach and replace the J1772 connector level 2 back into it's holder. 4. Many times you are multi-tasking (carrying items in one hand while trying to plug in the EV). It is very handy to be able plug in or disconnect and put cable away by without having to walk around.

Waitingi3 said:
I suggest running the cord down the middle, but suspend it from the ceiling so it does not get underfoot. This also gives you the freedom to put the EVSE on any wall. Watch out for the cord length though, they tend to be on the short side!

A big ditto. I mounted my EVSE in the center of the front (i.e., inside) wall of my two-car garage, and then screwed some bicycle mounting hooks into the ceiling and used those hooks to take the charging cord up and along the ceiling and then drop down right where the charging port of my i3 ends up when I pull in (normally -- not backing in :) . That way the cord is never on the ground -- no risk of anyone tripping on it, and no risk of my wife driving over it with her car. I have a 25' cord so length to do this was not an issue.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to go for the right side just inside the garage door. I can mount the unit right next to the door facing back into the garage and have only about 3-5 ft. for the cord to reach the charging port on the i3.

Now to find an electrician. The one I had lined up (a friend who has done electrical work for us in the past) is just too swamped right now.

Mine is on the right, near the garage door. TO make it easy to use outside, I have a mailbox right near there on the outside wall. I drilled a 4.5" hole through the wall then used a section of 4" PVC, cut a coupling about an inch off one end, then pushed the pipe through the wall, glued the ring from the coupling on the exterior, and used the rest of it inside locking the pipe in the wall, then caulked it. THen, I put the box on a long SS gate hinge with some industrial hook and loop at one end. It only takes seconds to get the cord outside, and if I've swapped cars around, I can use it easily inside. If I take a picture, I'll try to post it later. As it gets colder, I may fashion a foam plug for the inside of the pipe, but it hasn't been an issue as of yet.

Back