Extended REx Test Drive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

Borrowed a REx demo for around five hours today.

Did about 90 minutes of motorway driving, with & without REx motor - plus a 30 mile cross country trip selected for poor road surfaces and nasty bends.

Both my wife & I were very impressed. My wife isn't a huge car fan and I thought she might find the firm ride over poor surfaces uncomfortable compared to our Lexus 400h which has a roly-poly, big car ride. After 10 minutes she said "this car seems glued to the road - I don't get thrown around the way i do in the Lexus".

It can get a bit rugged over really bad ridged tarmac - but the overall effect is firm rather than crashy. On reasonable tarmac and motorway, I thought the ride was fine.

The eye opener for me was the superb ergonomics, steering & handling. On poor, narrow roads, in bad weather & light, with heavy oncoming traffic it was very confidence inspiring compared to my usual drive. I actually thought it was easier to drive than any car I've owned.

The only downsides were - a bit of resonant noise over 70 which may have been wind generated, the 80 mile starting range dropped to 16 over about 55 miles with sidelights, wipers and aircon set at 24C (we like to be cosy!) - and the REx noise was a bit more intrusive than I'd hoped.

On balance - I think I'll be confirming my order tomorrow.

A couple of additional points which some may find useful:-

1. When I topped up the REx tank the Petrol Range indicator only showed 64 miles - implying this would be the full range.

2. If you go a bit mad on the motorway and take more charge from the battery, while using the REx - it will top up the battery, on a downhill stretch, up to the original level when the REx was engaged - but not more.

3. I was worried about my dodgy garage wiring since it's a long way from the house, with normal ring main cable, and only shows 230V. On the dealer's advice I selected the slowest charging rate and it seemed to charge fine on the 13A socket for an hour or so. Apparently - if you select a charge rate that's too high for the wiring it will trip out. I see no reason that it wouldn't also work from an extension lead.

4. I spent ages looking for a front boot release in the car until I realised it's a button on the remote.

5. If you leave the I-drive screen showing the "Maintain Charge Level" option - you can select/deselect REx on the move by pressing the I-drive button, without having to mess around in the menus.

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for your encouraging review. Time for some positive news ;)

Steven

PS: the front boot button should be located low on the drivers side A pillar, if I am not mistaken.

Nice review Jeremy and glad to see that you're sticking with your order.

Jeremy said:
5. If you leave the I-drive screen showing the "Maintain Charge Level" option - you can select/deselect REx on the move by pressing the I-drive button, without having to mess around in the menus.
It's also possible to configure the radio buttons on the dash to do this so that you don't have to bother drilling down into the I-drive screens (e.g. just press '8' to turn the REx on/off).

Jeremy said:
3. I was worried about my dodgy garage wiring since it's a long way from the house, with normal ring main cable, and only shows 230V.

It would be worrying if it were more than 230V as that is UK mains supply voltage.

Otherwise thanks for the review.

Bill

You're right!

I was still living in the 240V days.

V embarrassing since I was an Elect Engg :oops:

Thanks Plug - useful.

I didn't have much time to study the manual.

Does anyone know if the manual exists online anywhere yet?

Subtle difference between BEV / REx ?
I somehow managed to open the front bonnet w/o remote on the pre-prod BEV we saw at the Dutch intro...

Jeremy said:
Steve

No the only button there on the REx is the vent & open fuel filler one.

Bunter said:
Jeremy said:
It would be worrying if it were more than 230V as that is UK mains supply voltage.

Otherwise thanks for the review.

Bill

230V is an EU fiction. The nominal voltage in continental Europe was 220V and the UK was 240. The EU specification adjusted the tolerances and set a new nominal voltage of 230.

However nothing actually changed. The UK system is still a 240V system and the continent is still 220V.

The EU spec is 230V -6% to + 10% or 216V to 253V.

I measured about 245V in the wall sockets at work. -- Voltage at home where we are on the end of a very long rurral run is around 225V which happens to be the old UK 240V -6% minimum.

Details here: http://www.twothirtyvolts.org.uk/pdfs/site-info/Explanation_230Volts.pdf

Back