federal incentive credit twice on leases?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gte355u124

So, I leased an i3, the dealership was awarded the $7500 credit. In 2 years when i go to lease/buy the 2018 i5, can I or the dealership get another credit?

Says yes if it's in another calendar year.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Energy-Incentives-for-Individuals-in-the-American-Recovery-and-Reinvestment-Act:-Questions-and-Answers

Wow...that really makes a 2 year lease the ideal economic decision (assuming credits still around in 2017/18). Taking advantage of $15k in gov subsidies over the course of 4 years is stout! Does anyone know how many credits are left? I think they do it on a per vehicle basis or something?

actually if i'm reading that correctly there's no limit as long as you have enough tax liability... however with a lease it doesn't matter since its not you that get it, its the lease company and then they pass it onto you... have at it as many times as you'd like

Looking at the incentive which expires/phases out after 200k vehicles per manufacturer...It could be a decade from now until that's all done!

Only Nissan, Tesla and Chevy have any hope of getting to 200,000 vehicles in the next several years. Perusing the sales figures on InsideEVs, Tesla is ~60K to date, Volt and Leaf are ~85K to date. Volt and Leaf have sold max of 30K units in a year (US only) so far, so even with a big increase, they have several years to go. Tesla has topped out at ~19K units in a year (US only - might hit 25K this year), so even with growth, they also have many years to go. Maybe 2020 we'll see one of them hit the 200,000 limit

Back