Feeling foolish

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavalier

Has anyone ever accidentally pressed the accelerator pedal on their i3 instead of the brake pedal?. I did this yesterday with disastrous results. I positioned the car at a 45 degree angle to back the car into a parking bay at our local shops, I put my foot on what I thought was the brake to select reverse gear, and the car shot forward hitting a bollard. What really bothered me is, had the car been made of steel, I would have suffered no more than a dent, but because it seems to be made of plastic, the front bumper and wing disintegrated. I feel such an idiot trying to explain this to the insurance company. May have to call it a senior moment.

Unfortunately it's a pretty common occurrence these days - the insurance company will have come across it many times before.

You won't find many (if any) new cars that are made of rigid steel at the front - they are made soft and squishy at the front to reduce damage to pedestrians, so you just have to live with the fact that they won't hold up well when driven into a bollard!

Back