harmon kardon tweeters

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1883

I know its been covered on multiple threads but cant seem to find the answer im looking for. We know retrofitting the from the base stereo to the HK is not cost effective, but has anyone ever checked to see if the wiring is there?

I ask because although putting in rear door speakers would be a pain, what about the HK tweeters in the piller? It would be better than just door speakers and if the wiring was there, I would think in theory you could just swap the a pillers out and hook it up. Maybe do a little coding to get the speakers enabled. Not really sure if this would work out or even at all but whats your guys thoughts?

Or even just using the pillers and adding your own tweeters since im sure the HK is part of a component system.

Unlike the 'old' days, BMW tends to literally custom build harnesses for each car. So, with few exceptions, I'd be somewhat surprised if the wiring was there to update things to the HK sound system.

Having been through a couple of BMW factories (one in Munich and one in SC), Parts tend to be staged for each vehicle, they don't just pull them out of a bin and everyone gets the same thing(s). Way back when, each model would be the same color, have the same wiring harness, and probably the same set of accessories, then the line might change and they'd build a set of them with different components. BMW factories can switch the paint robot head and each car along the line could be not only a different model, but a different color with different sets of accessories and trim. This allows them to not end up with lots of unused bits as customer forces drive things back and forth.

Back