Headlight comparison halogen VS LED

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Algo

Hello,

I'm concidering buying an i3 (i'll have a test drive next weekend), but i'm still uncertain if i should opt in for the LED headlights.
For one they are not quite cheap and i do not admire the looks of them. As far as i found out through the forums the power consumption should not be very drastic for the 'normal' headlights (1km less range if turned on all the way), so that should not be a problem right?

But it seems to be quite hard to find good pictures of the 'normal' headlights when turned on and of or compared to the LEDs.

Only thing i found so far is this:
2014-bmw-i3-reveal-exterior-headlights-macro-1500x991.jpg

and i really like them better than LEDs:
photo34_zpseb45b34b.jpg

Does anyone have pictures of those normal headlights turned on (for getting an impression of the color temperature) or even a comparision btween those to options?

Or is there a good reason to get the LED headlights nontheless?

Thanks.

US versions only have LED so I can't comment on "regular" headlamps, but I do love the bluish tinge and light intensity which the LEDs provide. I say go with LED. Better for resale also later down the road.

I went the other way.

Figured that the amount of night driving I will do in the car is minimal, and DC Prep, Heat Pump, Seat Heaters were all better value than the relatively expensive LED lights (and probably better resale value items than LEDs). The low and high beams on my car match in colour temp whereas the LED spec cars have a mix.

At some point, I may add aftermarket LED lights for a few hundred dollars, I have already replaced the front indicator lights with LEDs.

Thanks for the relpys so far :). So one for LED, one for standard headlights. But further opinions are welcome :).
Well perhaps i can get a comparision when i get the car for a test drive. I'll see.

133t, with your front indicators conversion did you source your new bubs from a store locally or through Ebay ? Also what brand did you go with and no error code trouble with them ??

Cheers

Gazza said:
133t, with your front indicators conversion did you source your new bubs from a store locally or through Ebay ? Also what brand did you go with and no error code trouble with them ??

Cheers

Yep, from ebay. No errors yet, they are supposed to be error free: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131202763664

There is a thread here about them and also one on bimmerfest.

Edit: This link picks up both: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1111&start=20

Back