Heater Not Working

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies. Please note that I’m in the UK and as far as I have noted, there's not many cars here with the heat pump ( auxiliary cabin heater). To add, Wiseley Automotive, a UK expert on the cars don’t seem to mention the cabin heater. They have a playlist of helpful videos.

Have any UK cars had this cabin heater problem?

Wiseley replied to a threat elsewhere a while ago stating they had replaced the heater in 3 or 4 i3's in a single month.
Seems a common failure although maybe in later cars? The original part was superseded at some point but whether that was to fix the issue or the new part resulted in it being more of a common failure I don't know.

I wouldn't not buy an i3 because of it however but worth bearing in mind, maybe factoring its replacement into the price someone offers for a used i3 if it's not already been replaced.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Please note that I’m in the UK and as far as I have noted, there's not many cars here with the heat pump ( auxiliary cabin heater). To add, Wiseley Automotive, a UK expert on the cars don’t seem to mention the cabin heater. They have a playlist of helpful videos.

Have any UK cars had this cabin heater problem?

Pretty sure Wisely has another video on this as far as the UK is concerned it is one of the common failures. Involves also maybe replacing the HV lead which is one of the longest in the car as it runs from back to front of the car.

I’ll search for an example.

This is a collection of extracts from Uk group. Seems like it has become common now. Cause of the internal failures not yet identified.

Heater failure

Failed auxiliary flow heater located in frunk area. We have had 3 fail this month.

Depending on the fault. Easy way to test if you have the heater option. Remove the front storage bin. The heater is behind the box under the windscreen. If working the water pipes will be warm.

Code 801380 is usually (but not always) present. Also, on some occasions the HV cable which powers the heater needs replacing as well.

It’s the metal box thing in the middle of this picture. We’ve had 3 pack in this month, after never having had an issue with a single one in 4 years. It is part of the HV circuit so I can only recommend not working on it unless you’re qualified.

Attachments

• IMG_1755.jpeg
    IMG_1755.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the replies. I’m not sure where you’re getting that information from but I’m not on Facebook if it’s from there.

I note a variety of repair costs across three posts from £1,000 to £2,100, though all better than the suggested £11,500 BMW asked. I think I understand it better now and Fordychaps post number #27 on the ‘Help no heat” linked thread is also very helpful with the close up picture of the problem part itself. If there’s been an improved heater element part created then was that during production and at what registration?

Darlouis suggests a failure mainly on later cars. Surely that should be earlier cars, hence the change of part design?

If the HV lead from front to back fails then how much is the cost to replace that?

Sorry for the questions, but I’m considering one but it would likely be a 2020 or maybe 21 car and want to be sure I’m aware of all the risks.

If it’s anything like the older units in gas bmws,it’s usually a bad capacitor in the dash unit (did one years ago,don’t remember location)

Bought an 2019 approved used 120ah i3 last summer to replace an earlier 94ah which was unfortunately written off. Once the weather turned colder it turned out that neither the cabin heater nor heated drivers seat was working not to mention the blurred reversing camers image. To cap it all the first time I tried to charge it using my Zappi home charger it tripped the RCD 2 hours into the charge and there after gave the 'unable to charge' warning! All this on a 4 year old car with just 10,000 miles on the clock was a less than impressive for an approved used car. Just as well I love the i3! At least my local BMW dealership fixed all under warranty, no doubt 'saving' me a small fortune.
For the record the drivers seat fix was quoted at £787.65 and the unable to charge message £1292.44, reversing camera £510.60. No mention of the repare to cabin heater though ( not a heat pump)

@Paul4A I suggested it might be more common with later cars but it's not confirmed. I noticed some of the recent failures were 2020 or 2021 cars. Mine is a June 2020 car with only low miles. Searching on the topic I don't see older cars 2013/14/15 coming up as having the failure but maybe there are other reasons for that (more cars sold in recent years maybe so more apparent?).
Would be interesting to know when the new part was available from. If late 2021 for example then that might tie in with an improved part. If 2018/2019 then might be the cause of failures if indeed it is the later cars more likely to have the issue.
So, it's inconclusive.

Bought an 2019 approved used 120ah i3 last summer to replace an earlier 94ah which was unfortunately written off. Once the weather turned colder it turned out that neither the cabin heater nor heated drivers seat was working not to mention the blurred reversing camers image. To cap it all the first time I tried to charge it using my Zappi home charger it tripped the RCD 2 hours into the charge and there after gave the 'unable to charge' warning! All this on a 4 year old car with just 10,000 miles on the clock was a less than impressive for an approved used car. Just as well I love the i3! At least my local BMW dealership fixed all under warranty, no doubt 'saving' me a small fortune.
For the record the drivers seat fix was quoted at £787.65 and the unable to charge message £1292.44, reversing camera £510.60. No mention of the repare to cabin heater though ( not a heat pump)
All I can say is wow, what an unreliable instance and such an expensive model of car to repair. It’s enough to make me rethink the idea of buying an i3. A comprehensive warranty seems a must, but they’re also expensive - £1,000 for the first years extension according to a couple of local dealers I’ve asked. Potentially more for later years.

Last edited:
Back