Help with understanding Range Loss over time

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MKH said:
Sorry about the confusion. I made a mistake in my post and we had a documentation error regarding BMWi3s on our FAQ. Turns out we can accept 2014 and later BMWi3s (2014 to present).

Thanks for the updated and more complete info you provided - interesting stuff. However, your sign-in software still wont accept any BMW i3 earlier than 2017.

Hi Mark,
Sorry that you are having a hard time connecting. If you would like to try and see if we can figure this out, feel free to email [email protected] and I can connect you with our connection team.

Best,
Jon Witt

3pete said:
jonwitt said:
To participate, you’ll need an active subscription to BMW Connected Drive

Does Connected Drive actually allow you to view battery capacity/ state of health directly? Do the other brands APIs allow this? I see a lot of references to range as the metric that is collected, not an actual State Of Health number in % or kWh.

What I'm getting at is: how do you differentiate someone with a lead-foot vs. a hyper-miler? If it's all based on range and SOC %, the driving style is going to skew the estimate one way or the other. Is that just left up to the machine learning to solve?

Interesting project either way!

Hey 3pete,
Great questions! At the moment, the Connected Drive doesn't allow us to view battery capacity directly and currently other brands don't allow this remotely either. Though OBDII connections for certain brands, like Leafs with Leafspy seem to be able to give this info. When someone signs up, currently they grant access to SOC, range, odometer, and charging status. Those are collecteed 2-4 times per day on average during a month to make the report. Since at the moment we are limited to those aspects, we are making inferences based on those parameters we do know, and what we know about each BMS of each car brand. We are working on our ability to do more at the moment, but are leaving the machine learning model to tease our differences between drivers. It is also a question of to what degree the driving behavior plays a role in the overall degradation compared to calendar aging, chemistry, total mileage, .. etc. The more drivers that join, the more likely we will be able to tease out differences and be able to provide more accurate reports.

I think it is very interesting too!

Best,
Jon Witt

jonwitt said:
We are working on our ability to do more at the moment, but are leaving the machine learning model to tease our differences between drivers.

Thanks Jon! This seems do-able for the machine learning to account for and make a pretty good estimate (especially if you're accounting for localized temperature somehow) but it is another thing that would be a lot easier if the manufacturers would opt-in themselves. Similar to LeafSpy, there is an app called "electrified" for the i3 that will show battery state of health, so it is accessible via OBDII too.

I've actually seen that this information used to be available via Connected Drive so I would guess BMW still has it available and is just hogging it all to themselves. That was actually part of why I was asking; for selfish reasons I was curious if you had figured out a way to pull SOH info from Connected Drive. :D

Back