Hey, Mr. Moderator!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomMoloughney said:
Just so everyone knows, the site owner (admin) who posted the response above, and I are the only moderators here.

He has asked me if I would like assistance in moderating this forum and I've repeatedly told him I don't think it's necessary. I constantly comb the posts for spam and usually delete it pretty quickly - I'm sure you don't realize just how much is posted because I usually get at it quickly and ban the person posting it. However, it does help if the members flag posts that are spam, that helps me get to them easier and you can always PM me if there is a problem. I also deal with feuding members from time to time although most everybody here is civil and respects others opinions and I'd like to thank you all for that.

In the mean time we are considering adding more moderators, especially if the members feel it necessary. The one thing I don't want to happen though is heavy-handed moderation. I like to allow the discussions to flow with little moderation, and I think that contributes to this being a great forum to discuss the i3. I prefer the hands off approach unless it's spam or things get confrontational, abusive or way off topic. What do you all think?

Totally happy with the spam to post ratio, the current mods are doing a top job IMO.

Bill

How long before the next Bait & Switch Class Action thread starts?

"Hey Mr. Moderator, I joined this extremely helpful free internet forum and there was no spam and now there's a few junk posts"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dry your eyes, princess.

Thanks for your support everyone, and yes, Tom is doing an amazing job!

RE: Checking against blacklists, the forum software does do this. When a user registers, it checks their email address against RBL databases, and checks their IP against blacklists.

Recently, one of the free blacklists went away - permanently, and that's when more spam started coming through.

We may look at adding a paid solution in the future, but that gets expensive fast.

Mike

How about allowing new members only one post and a second a few days later. If their first post is spam they will get reported and can be terminated immediately. If they're spammers they won't want to bother creating a legitimate post to get to full posting a week later

Ron

cove3 said:
How about allowing new members only one post and a second a few days later. If their first post is spam they will get reported and can be terminated immediately. If they're spammers they won't want to bother creating a legitimate post to get to full posting a week later

Ron

For spammers, one post is a win.

They know they won't be able to come back, and probably don't even try. The best solution is to prevent them in the first place and put out the trash as soon as possible for the rest.

Back