Home Charger

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyzoom

Hello,

I have ordered an i3 but wondered how i get a home charger. On the websites offering installation, they require proof of ownership, such as the VIN number but i own't have this until the car arrives. How can i get one installed before the car arrives?

Thanks

Your dealer should be able to tell you the VIN once the car gets a build slot. That can be a fair amount of time before it is actually done and delivered. Other than that, no idea on the procedure to get the government assistance but there are various posts around discussing it.

Unless you're regularly driving more than 50miles a day, the Level 2 home charger may not be as urgent a need as you think. I've been getting by just fine with the 110 charger that comes with the car.

A Level 2 charger is certainly something to plan for, but you'll still be able to use your car on day 1.

I can't imagine who would want proof of ownership to install a charger. You can order the very popular Clipper Creek and have a local electrician install it.

In the UK, they have a government run program that can pay for an EVSE. They require the VIN apparently, to make sure you aren't getting multiple ones for free.

Boatguy said:
Unless you're regularly driving more than 50miles a day, the Level 2 home charger may not be as urgent a need as you think. I've been getting by just fine with the 110 charger that comes with the car.

A Level 2 charger is certainly something to plan for, but you'll still be able to use your car on day 1.

I can't imagine who would want proof of ownership to install a charger. You can order the very popular Clipper Creek and have a local electrician install it.
Agree, we have put off plans for a level 2. For us the Level 1 is enough.

Thanks for the replies. My daily commute is 60 miles hence the need for the type 2. Also I'm in the UK so need the VIN to qualify for the free charger.

You only need to prove you have an EV on order, your order document should be sufficient for any installer.

You can still get a free 32amp Unit from Rolec http://www.rolecserv.com/ev-charging/product/free-ev-home-charging-points

Back