i Remote Problem

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixelpro

I successfully set up the i Remote app to precondition during the week for 8:05 a.m. before I leave for work. I also set up the tariff time slot to 8:15 AM - 8:00 PM. I am under the assumption this is the time I want to set the car NOT to charge since it is roughly the peak hours (2x the cost) as indicated by my local electric company.

It worked fine every day this week and started charging my i3 at 8:01 p.m. as anticipated Monday thru Thursday. Today, I went out into the garage at 8:45 p.m. and it was not charging. I turned off low cost charging since it no longer works as intended and is not reliable. Is there any fix for this?

You sure that the tariff time slot is not when you DO want it to charge? I'll have to read that section. One thing I'd like in the iRemote app is a help section to explain a few things.

I have found "Server" problems--between server and car that report (after a long try and wait) that "Conditions cannot be determined" and then, gone out and found the car warmed.

Then yesterday, it worked perfectly. I think it may be bandwidth issues on the server, but I'm not knowledgeable about that stuff, so just be patient and try it again the next day.

Sending something to the car from the app, ideally, is a two-way street. But, if the car does get a properly formatted, verified request to do something, it will do it, then try to report back that confirmation. If communications are spotty, that confirmation may not get back.

BUMWA said:
I have found "Server" problems--between server and car that report (after a long try and wait) that "Conditions cannot be determined"…

I've never seen that message. My results are either Performed Successfully or Failed.

At home, I park underground in a reinforced concrete structure. Our mobile devices get no service at all down there. Still the i Remote app communicates reliably with the i3 when it's plugged in. But when the car isn't, there's almost always a failure. In contrast my work parking spot is at street level. Even though I don't charge there, I never have a communication failure. I suspect the i3's cellular system goes into a power-saving mode when the vehicle isn't plugged in.

Back