i3 BEV maintenance

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not for U.S. models. My first maintenance is scheduled for 2 years after my purchase date. The i3 will notify its driver when maintenance is due.

The cabin air filter gets changed at 2-years along with a brake fluid flush. The dealer will replace the wiper blades annually (at least in the USA). Other than that, there isn't much that needs servicing on a BEV i3.

No maintenance schedule here in Australia either. Car says to change brake fluid in 2017 but otherwise nothing. I paid $849 to cover all maintenance costs for 5 years - just as A bit of insurance in case battery needs something- think I have probably wasted my money but at least, if it is wasted, it is only a good sign of a highly maintenance free car. Relatively, I paid $3755 over 5 years in the maintenance of my 2010 Subaru Forester (excluding tyres, registration and insurance). I also paid $19,800 in petrol to travel the 120,000km over that 5 year period. At current off peak electricity rates of 21c/kW and efficiency of 14kWh/100km I will pay $3528 to travel the same distance in the i3. Suddenly this car is not that expensive.

IT SEEMS SOME PEOPLE MUST OVERLOOK THE DISADVANTAGES OF THE ICE AND BECOME HABITUATED TO PAYING THE PENALTIES OF PETROL.

JTM

JTM said:
No maintenance schedule here in Australia either. Car says to change brake fluid in 2017 but otherwise nothing. I paid $849 to cover all maintenance costs for 5 years - just as A bit of insurance in case battery needs something- think I have probably wasted my money but at least, if it is wasted, it is only a good sign of a highly maintenance free car. Relatively, I paid $3755 over 5 years in the maintenance of my 2010 Subaru Forester (excluding tyres, registration and insurance). I also paid $19,800 in petrol to travel the 120,000km over that 5 year period. At current off peak electricity rates of 21c/kW and efficiency of 14kWh/100km I will pay $3528 to travel the same distance in the i3. Suddenly this car is not that expensive.

IT SEEMS SOME PEOPLE MUST OVERLOOK THE DISADVANTAGES OF THE ICE AND BECOME HABITUATED TO PAYING THE PENALTIES OF PETROL.

JTM
The warrenty should be bumper to bumper soo $849 for what coverage?

barrychan said:
The warrenty should be bumper to bumper soo $849 for what coverage?
While BMW in some places includes 'free' service, that is not the case in every market. For example, in the USA and Canada, they do, but not everywhere...it is an extra cost option. Warranty, and scheduled maintenance are two different things - we get both as included in the sales price.

In 'good ol' Australia', (where we get taxed on our tax - at least with petrol), the warranty DOES NOT cover maintenance i.e. tyres, brake pads, oil, filters and brake fluids etc. I like the US idea where all is included in the warranty. We really get stung over here when it comes to automobiles and there are NO tax or other incentives for EVs either. But we have an i3 and are enjoying it more and more, while avoiding the pecuniary penalties of petrol. This car is just brilliant.

Back