Service History

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadrich

Hi
I’ve been looking at used i3 and found something in budget - 3yrs old, 55k miles - but just found out its latest service at BMW is the only one recorded. If this was an ICE vehicle I’d have run away already, however, as it’s BEV, I’m wondering if this is as big a problem? Im reasoning that as it’s been ‘prepared’ by BMW they should have picked up any issues (is not being sold by them as missing the SH).

I’m pretty sure I know what the answer will be but want to ask anyway.

Thanks in advance…

I think that's completely normal. IIRC, service intervals are every 2 years, so second service would be due next year. I can't recall if there's also a mileage limit that requires more frequent service - I guess Google would help on that one.

Thanks. I couldn’t find a mileage limit, only that it’s due every two years, so it looks to be a year overdue, but they have done the brake flush 👍 l

Thanks. I couldn’t find a mileage limit, only that it’s due every two years, so it looks to be a year overdue, but they have done the brake flush 👍 l
I'm not aware of any official BMW mileage limit, only a time interval.

I feel that the 2-year brake fluid flush suggestion is overly-cautious. The brake fluid that I replaced after 2 years looked like new. On our 2019 BEV, I used a Bosch brake fluid that claims to be good for 3 years, so 3 years is my new brake fluid change interval.

With 55k miles, if the climate control system was used frequently, the cabin air filters might need replacing if this hasn't happened already. The windshield wipers might need changing as well, but that's about it for i3 BEV regular maintenance.

We just sold our first i3 after almost 9 years of ownership in the UK. The buying company valued the vehicle lower due to a missing service, which I disputed, because I always stuck to the 2 year interval, as indicated by the car. According to Google, which the buying company used as reference, it is every 2 years or every 18k miles. At 103k miles, the car should have been serviced 5x.

Back