i3 black roof carbon fiber textures?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAJ

Sooooo.....I was looking at my i3 roof up real close and noticed one hand that the carbon fiber "grid" was visible (almost like a solar panel) which is cool but also noticed a second texture/pattern which is more like randome swirls. At first I thought it was light scratches :shock: but then realized it was everywhere. Anyone else noticed that?

As the roof is made from recycled 'bits' of CRP, does this mean the weave pattern will be random? Total speculation on my part!

"The BMW i3 is the first ever BMW with an outer skin made entirely of thermoplastic. The only exception is the roof, which is made of recycled CFRP."

Quote from http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/0_0_www_bmwgroup_com/produktion/BMW_I/aussenhaut_des_BMW_i.html

Your speculation makes sense mrsmith... that's kinda what I am thinking but the only way to make sure is to have other owner take a close look at there roofs and share what they see.

Mine as well. The carbon fiber roof on my i3 also has what looks like scratches in random directions on the carbon weave and under the clear coat. Seems it is something related to machining the carbon?

Back