i3 charging efficiencies

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spinball said:
Idaho National Laboratory has a document Steady State Vehicle Charging Fact Sheet that covers the 2014 i3.

They've also measured other EVs here.

Key Insights from Testing:
The BMW i3 has the best power quality when charged at the max charge rate.

Pretty interesting stuff if you're into stats. You can save a few pennies per charge on L2 vs L1. :mrgreen:

Thanks great information. Always known that L2 is much more efficient but its great to have the detailed numbers on various cars.

I am surprised to learn that L2 charging is >90% efficient. I had read estimates in the mid-80's. I'm happy to learn that my 16 a. 208 v. charging is only very slightly less efficient than 30 a. 240 v. charging.

I assume that when charging in a hot environment, it would be more efficient to reduce the charging current to prevent the need for battery pack and/or charging electronics cooling. It would be nice to be able to monitor battery pack and charging electronics temperatures to be able to avoid the need for cooling. Some clever person needs to develop software that could decipher and display various measurements including temperatures that are transmitted across the i3's data bus(ses).

alohart said:
I am surprised to learn that L2 charging is >90% efficient. I had read estimates in the mid-80's. I'm happy to learn that my 16 a. 208 v. charging is only very slightly less efficient than 30 a. 240 v. charging.

I assume that when charging in a hot environment, it would be more efficient to reduce the charging current to prevent the need for battery pack and/or charging electronics cooling. It would be nice to be able to monitor battery pack and charging electronics temperatures to be able to avoid the need for cooling. Some clever person needs to develop software that could decipher and display various measurements including temperatures that are transmitted across the i3's data bus(ses).

I have seen instructions here to get diagnostics from displays that are usually hidden. I am sure it had battery temperatures. But I am guessing you mean something like Leaf Spy?

Back