i3 has a weak AC? Or is mine broken

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnort

I have it set to 60 deg, max, and it can't combat a mild Texas day at 81deg outside, even after 30 minutes on the road. My car was in a garage all day, always shaded.

Does the i3 just have a crappy AC, or does it sound like something's broken?

What temperature does it get down to, and what is the temp of the outlet air?

Biting my tongue about setting it to 60 in the first place, I wouldn't even run the AC at 80F.

i don't know the temperature it managed to get down to, but it couldn't have been less than 75. It was cooler in my garage than inside the car when I got home.

I set it to 60 and max ac to try to cool it down at all(though I do run hot, and the sun is on me the entire ride home)

Are you running in comfort mode? If not, the climate control is restricted. Unlike some cars, the fan speed is not fully controlled by the AUTO setting...you have to move it further to the right to get more fan speed, which may be all you need to do.

Good question, though, what is the air temp coming out of the vents? You DO have them all the way open?

For the hell of it, you might check the fuse for the a/c unit. The fuse layout diagram is folded up in the fuse box itself.

Yes, running in comfort mode.

the fan is running plenty fast, just the air coming out is maybe slightly cooler than ambient.

I thought I could check the fuse box. I'm a small guy but not nearly flexible enough...

I guess I'll just have service look at it.

jadnashuanh said:
Unlike some cars, the fan speed is not fully controlled by the AUTO setting...you have to move it further to the right to get more fan speed, which may be all you need to do.

Actually the fan buttons control the program intensity level when Auto is engaged, not fan speed. The visual indication is the LED display switches from building progressively to the right to a single light that moves across the scale. Higher intensity levels result in higher initial fan levels but the system will reduce fan speed and alter air distribution as the set temperature is reached. I've also noticed that a bit of mist at the bottom of the windshield can develop at the lowest intensity level. Moving up to the midway point stops that because the demister kicks in quicker.

The Auto program intensity settings are not unique to the i3. They've been a BMW feature for a number of model years but I don't think they're well understood. With my '09 E90 for instance, you press the Auto button repeatedly to cycle through the levels. The Genius at my dealer told me that BMW switched the control to the fan buttons so the settings are more apparent.

And while my local weather doesn't exactly stress the system, my i3 has no problem maintaining meat locker like cabin temps even on the handful 80° days we've had.

If you don't tint your windows you will swelter come summertime.......

How can BMW call the HVAC "climate control" when you manually have to change the fan/"intensity" setting constantly to keep comfortable? This is nothing but a 1960's style a/c unit only with much less control and far lower performance......

WoodlandHills said:
I have that fear as well.

Particularly if my AC is actually working correctly and is just anemic.

But, I'm pretty sure at this point it's only blowing air, and not actually cooling it.

Schnort said:
I have it set to 60 deg, max, and it can't combat a mild Texas day at 81deg outside, even after 30 minutes on the road. My car was in a garage all day, always shaded.

Does the i3 just have a crappy AC, or does it sound like something's broken?

I live in Florida and the past few days it has been in the high 80's (87 degrees F) when I left work today. The A/C (it's actually a heat pump) works exceptionally well. My Car is cool before I leave the parking lot. I drive on Eco Pro, have my windows tinted ( I have Tera world, dark interior). For comparison my 2012 Volt and before that my 2010 Prius, did not cool nearly as well, certainly not before I left the parking lot where I work. The Volt would take a good two miles of driving before it was a comfortable temperature inside.

I set the temp on 72 degrees, I have the fan speed set for 3 and crack open the passenger window for a minute to let the hot air escape. Within 5 minutes I put the temp to 74 degrees (and gain a mile or two of range) and then about 30 minutes into the ride I can even go to 76 degrees (and gain another mile of range)

WoodlandHills said:

How can BMW call the HVAC "climate control" when you manually have to change the fan/"intensity" setting constantly to keep comfortable? This is nothing but a 1960's style a/c unit only with much less control and far lower performance......

I disagree. With the intensity at the midpoint and running in Comfort, the i3 keeps the cabin just as comfortable as my E90 does at maximum intensity. It has no problem cooling down to my set 19° C/66° F even after sitting in direct sun for several hours. I believe the key elements are setting the temperature and intensity levels then leaving them alone so the program can do its thing. If you constantly change the settings, the program can't keep up. Also, the system's power is reduced in EcoPro. The handful of times I've driven in that mode on the freeway, I've noticed much slower response to changing temps.

The slow response means that as the car turns in relation to the sun I am always altering the fan/intensity as the amount of sunshine on me changes. I never had to do this with any other automatic climate control system, just the old fashioned manual types. BTW, my set temps are usually from 72 to 76. There is nothing wrong with the capacity of the a/c: it cools just fine on max a/c, but on the Auto setting I cannot set it and forget it like on other cars. I have 3M tint on all the windows including the front screen which really helps.

Well, my A/C which has worked so well for the past 7 weeks since I got the car, is definitely NOT working. I took it to the local BMW dealer service center. The service advisor admitted he "knows nothing about the i3". He then went to the car and check it out, and determined that the A/C was not working. This was 6 pm tonight and the service department closes at 6:30 so, hopefully they can find out tomorrow what the issue is.

As a side note, I was told they didn't have a loaner car, and after much agitation and refusal to take a Jeep, a Chrysler or a Nissan Altima, they found a 328i loaner car for me. I'm not impressed with it at all. When I stepped on the gas pedal to merge into traffic, it seemed like an eternity before it got up to speed, and having to use the brake pedal is a PITA, but having to keep my foot on the brake just to keep the car from moving forward is a real hardship - LOL.

FWIW, my AC was definitely broken.

It's fixed now, but I got the software and KLE update at the same time.

The regen profile (i.e. braking) has definitely changed, and I'm not particular fond of it.

I don't think they lessened regen, exactly, but it does let up when the car is near stopping, so it coasts a lot further at a slow speed than it used to. I find this irritating because you can't rely on it to be your brake in stop/go traffic.

Schnort said:
FWIW, my AC was definitely broken.

It's fixed now, but I got the software and KLE update at the same time.

The regen profile (i.e. braking) has definitely changed, and I'm not particular fond of it.

I don't think they lessened regen, exactly, but it does let up when the car is near stopping, so it coasts a lot further at a slow speed than it used to. I find this irritating because you can't rely on it to be your brake in stop/go traffic.

Mine is fixed, Software and KLE, however the regen seems the same if not a tad more aggressive - I like it. What has really changed is the range. I had been getting between 72 and 80 miles of range on my normal ride, longer trips I could get 90. NOW I am starting out with 97 miles of range displayed (in ECO PRO) and after 38 Miles I still had 58 miles of range! (=96 miles) Before I was seeing 4.4 miles per kWh now 5.8, 5.9, I even saw 6.1. This is in Florida with the Temperature at 87 Degrees and the cabin set for 72 Degrees.

Back