If I precondition what temperature does it make the cabin?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elbow

On the Connected app you can set your car to precondition.

I understand this is a good idea - best for the batteries.

I live in a mild climate - its late autumn here but its not likely to be much colder than 15C.

But - if you enable precondition it says that it will heat or cool the cabin "depending on the external temperature".

But how does it decide what temperature to use as the target?

Thanks,
Steve

The USA spec cars supposedly pre-condition the cabin to 72F no matter what the outside temperature (or what the temperature setting knob on the dash is set for). Your owner's manual should probably have details about whether the metric country use 22C (72F) or another temperature.

Programmed departure times with pre-conditioning are a feature that should sell cars for those of us who work regular schedules, IMHO. I've only had mine a few weeks now, and can't live without the feature! It is still nippy in the mornings here (spring), but the car is shirt-sleeve warm when I climb in (all powered from the EVSE power cord). It is warm when I leave work in the afternoons, but the car cools itself down to shirt-sleeve cool (drawing from battery) despite being parked in the sun all day. The one time that I had to drive the car out of schedule, I opened the door and was hit in the face by a blast of hot air from sitting in the sun. I've only owned it for a few weeks, and already forgot about the ICE-based car issue of being blasted with heat on a sunny day!

In case you haven't seen this little gem yet when you shut off your i3, you may find uses for it when running multi-stop errands:

20190522213940-4100cab1.png

It turns the heat/AC back on with the car off and doors locked, to keep the interior at the set temperature while you step out for a quick errand.....

Thanks @vreihen,

I couldn’t find the temp anywhere in the manual but it probably is the same temperature.

Back