Impact of Rex on electric range

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz26

I have yet to see any tests on the Rex version. Just wondering given the extra weight of the Rex what impact that will have on the electric range? We know it makes it 0.7 secs slower to. 60 mph. I am thinking about switching my order to the Bev as I think more about how I will use the car! Given no production dates seem to be available yet I can't think it will be a problem changing.

Somewhere I've got a hard copy document with these details (no idea where!). It's not a huge impact in range (6 miles or something, IIRC) but combined with the REx firing up when you get down to 20% (yeah, I know you can override it), it starts to impinge on the purity of the BEV concept.

Per the press kit, the BEV version achieves 190 km on the NECD cycle and the BEVx trim achieves 170 km on the same test cycle. That's a difference of about 10%. It's worth noting that the NECD is a mild cycle, which emphasizes city driving at low to moderates speeds. Please see the first image below to get an idea of the speed profile (in km/h) used for NEDC testing. The second image is a snapshot of the press kit with the BEV range highlighted. One could argue that the higher weight of the BEVx and the stop-and-go nature of the NECD cycle resulted in this fairly significant difference in range.

19tgKah

15G2XHm
bmwi3mnl

surfingslovak said:
Per the press kit, the BEV version achieves 190 km on the NECD cycle and the BEVx trim achieves 170 km on the same test cycle. That's a difference of about 10%. It's worth noting that the NECD is a mild cycle, which emphasizes city driving at low to moderates speeds. Please see the first image below to get an idea of the speed profile (in km/h) used for NEDC testing. The second image is a snapshot of the press kit with the BEV range highlighted. One could argue that the higher weight of the BEVx and the stop-and-go nature of the NECD cycle resulted in this fairly significant difference in range.

19tgKah

15G2XHm
bmwi3mnl

Great info thanks.

November 2013 BMW UK Ltd.
THE NEW BMW i3.
OPTIMISING THE USE OF THE RANGE EXTENDER.

THE NEW BMW i3 WITH RANGE EXTENDER. RANGE EXTENDER INFORMATION.
What is the range extender?
− The range extender on the new BMW i3 with Range Extender can be manually activated at any time when the battery is at circa 75% state of charge.
− The range extender is designed to maintain the current state of charge under normal driving conditions.
− The range extender on the BMW i3 does not provide any power to the wheels which makes it different to a plug-in hybrid or competitors such as the Vauxhall Ampera where the engine can also drive the wheels.

THE NEW BMW i3 WITH RANGE EXTENDER. OPTIMISING THE RANGE EXTENDER.
Plan your route:
− If you know you will need to use the range extender to complete your journey then activate this when travelling at a consistent speed. For example motorways or when in free moving traffic.
− The range extender on the BMW i3 will automatically shut off when below approximately 10-15mph to allow the driver to enjoy the quiet calm of pure electric driving.
− The range extender will continue to run at low speeds and when stationary when the battery state of charge is deemed critical by the vehicle.

Always ready:
− With the exhilarating drive that the BMW i3 offers it would be no surprise if you wanted to extend your drive so make sure you refuel your range extender so you are ready to keep driving.
− Activate the range extender early and then once your destination flag comes back within the range indicated on the navigation screen you will know you can turn off your range extender and reach your destination on electric power alone.
− The BMW navigation system will notify you if you cannot reach your destination on electric power alone to prompt you to turn on the range extender early.

Intelligent cooling:
− The vehicle intelligently monitors the temperature of the range extender as well as the high-voltage batteries to ensure these operate at the optimum temperature.
− During and after running the range extender the vehicle will ensure optimum cooling, therefore even after exiting the vehicle the cooling fan will continue to run for a short period after locking the vehicle.

Favourite buttons:
− As well as considering programming your favourite destinations to your numbered favourite buttons, why not programme your range extender to be activated by simply pressing button 1 or 8.

Back