Increase lease mileage

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easports82

Until the i3, I owned my cars. When I did the lease a year ago (30 month term), I was working from home with a daily commute under 5 miles to take my daughter to daycare. Now, 12 months in, I'm probably heading back to an office where the daily commute is around 30 round trip. I'll obviously pass the 25K miles that the lease is for, so my question: is it better to purchase additional miles now, purchase more later, or wait until the lease is up and reconcile it with BMW in August of 2017?

easports82 said:
Until the i3, I owned my cars. When I did the lease a year ago (30 month term), I was working from home with a daily commute under 5 miles to take my daughter to daycare. Now, 12 months in, I'm probably heading back to an office where the daily commute is around 30 round trip. I'll obviously pass the 25K miles that the lease is for, so my question: is it better to purchase additional miles now, purchase more later, or wait until the lease is up and reconcile it with BMW in August of 2017?

I believe is cheaper to buy miles now, look at link:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/FinancialServices/mileage_adjustment_program.aspx

easports82 said:
my question: is it better to purchase additional miles now, purchase more later, or wait until the lease is up and reconcile it with BMW in August of 2017?

You can buy miles for $0.16 each (plus sales tax) right up until the end of the lease.

Overage miles that you pay for after the end of the lease cost $0.20 each (plus sales tax).

(There is an option to spread the cost of extra miles out over remaining payments if you choose to start buying extra miles at least 120 days before the end of the lease, but it doesn't save you any money, it just spreads it out.)

Back