iRemote not updating in timely manner

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LynPenny

My iRemote app ALWAYS reports the last update as at least hours, if not days, earlier than the current time.

I have an iPhone 6 with allthecurrent updates and iOS. Does any one have suggestions on what may be wrong and how to fix it?

My main reason for using the app is to check my charge status, so this problem renders it useless to me.

Thank you!

Communication between i3's and iRemote isn't direct; BMW operates intermediate servers that manage communication between i3's and iRemote. When these servers aren't operating well (seems way too often), communication between i3's and iRemote either doesn't occur or the information iRemote receives is old (i.e., outdated).

I don't think we understand everything that triggers an information update between i3's and BMW's servers. Charging events definitely trigger updates, but if no other update events have occurred, the information that iRemote receives from BMW's servers could be the latest information but still hours or days old. Our i3 has been in storage since April with its 12 v. power disconnected, so its cellular transceiver hasn't been on since April. When I open iRemote on my iPhone, it displays information from the day that I placed our car in storage. This is the most recent information that BMW's servers have received from our car, but it is a couple of months old which is understandable.

Some i3's have had problems with their cellular transceivers that have prevented information from being transmitted to BMW's servers resulting in outdated information being displayed by iRemote. Some owners have learned to reboot the cellular system by removing and reinstalling its fuse. Some have taken their i3's to BMW service centers for repair. Some have contacted BMW Assist through their car's contact button which appears to have corrected the problem.

Basically, the communication systems that enable communication between i3's and iRemote have been more unreliable than many of us would like. It's as if BMW is mainly a car company with little experience in software and cloud services.

Also check cellular data coverage where you park. If the network isn't available or spotty your status updates will be inconsistent. My home parking is underground in a reinforced-concrete structure. Not surprisingly my mobile devices typically show no service. Still the i3 manages to broadcast an update about half the time. No doubt because the roof-mounted antenna system puts out more power than a handheld.

I've noticed that as well but this is happening even when it is charging, so there is definitely a change and it just isn't registering it.

Check to see if ANY status is accurate: doors locked, charging, odometer reading, physical position on the map page, etc. The first time this happened to me, the dealer unplugged the telecommunication module which forced it to reset...everything worked fine minutes later. I've removed the fuse several times when I've noticed things not updating, and that also has restored things (takes a few minutes...don't get antsy right away and don't have it ON or charging while you do this). BTW, it's fuse 115...easy to get to if you don't mind sitting on the ground or are more flexible than I am! Pulling the power plug requires removing the rear seat, and personally, I don't think that's a great idea...those plugs aren't designed for lots of insertion/removal...a fuse, is pretty quick and easy to access. All of the BS I got from BMW about removing the app, reloading it, resetting things, having them reset things, etc., just didn't work...power cycling did. It's happened to me now about 4-5 times in a year. The thing gets caught up in a loop, and it might be that calling the SOS could force it out, I'd not tried that. SO far, power cycling has always worked when other actions did not. We should not have to do this...next time the car is in for some service, make sure that they put that on the service order. IF enough of those show up, there'll be more incentive for them to fix it.

I suspect it's using AT&T based on watching my phone's cellular signal match the cellular signal on the i3 display.

Rather that categorically say its AT&T, I'd guess that its a 3G GSM network that uses whatever GSM signals/towers that it can. Historically, AT&T and Verizon were the 2 big GSM networks in the US, with a number of regional networks supporting them with inter-operability agreements. I think the operation of the actual underlying networks is more complex now than each carrier having their own independent network.

Jeffj said:
Historically, AT&T and Verizon were the 2 big GSM networks in the US
Did you intend to write "T-Mobile" rather than "Verizon"? I believe Verizon's 3G is CDMA, not GSM, and that Verizon is gradually discontinuing its 3G service which would not seem to make it a good choice for the i3.

Eventually, rumor has it that all of the vehicles will come with LTE. The increased speed is one of the things stated that is required (at least as they see it) to provide OTA map updates, and maybe other services.

alohart said:
Jeffj said:
Historically, AT&T and Verizon were the 2 big GSM networks in the US
Did you intend to write "T-Mobile" rather than "Verizon"? I believe Verizon's 3G is CDMA, not GSM, and that Verizon is gradually discontinuing its 3G service which would not seem to make it a good choice for the i3.

Yes, meant T-Mobile, not Verizon. My bad

Back