"jailbreaking" REX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauljohntaylor

I've become more interested in this after a recent drive when I was in REX mode and during a short 3 mile ascent, I went into turtle mode. I'd find it useful to cherry pick when to use the gas function, i.e., on flat roads so I can save the EV for climbs - I've seen some people offer the service on Craigslist but have a couple questions that I hope someone can answer:

-Does this void warranty?
-Can the reprogramming be done by a beginner i.e., ME!
-If I do go outside for it, what is the going rate and is it risky?

Thanks

Do a search for dvdinmotion here or Google. Costs $150, works fine.

Or have your car coded and change nearly everything to your liking as well as the REx.....

BMW, at least up to this point, has not given people grief for programming their car. But, if they install a new software build for maintenance, safety, or to enhance features, anything that you'd had done will be restored to the USA default. They do say that the OBD port is specifically only for the use of authorized dealers, and to reprogram the car, you must connect to it, so if they wanted to get picky, they could give you grief, but as I've said, from what I hear, that has not happened to this point.

FWIW dvdinmotion loads via the USB port in the console and is easy to reload after a software update as per my experience. But it won't give a bigger fuel tank or any of the other cool things available only by full on coding. Then again it is plug and play, a five minute deal once you have done it once, and you have full control over the REx and no lawyer screen on startup. For me that was enough......

Back