Just curious about coding the REX hold.....

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, just had to recode it after they updated my firmware during the scheduled maintenance. No problems at all, and I think this is a must for REXes.

Sparky said:
I sweated bullets when my car was in the shop.

I did my code through DVDinMotion. I just re-insert the USB stick to de-program the SOC hold before taking it into the shop. Don't know if it's really necessary, but it gives me peace of mind.

I left the dvdinmotion in place, one time it was gone after an update and had to be reloaded, the other times it was not disturbed. No one at the dealer cared.......

No, but I WAS there hollering and shouting about their failure/refusal to do anything about my whooping tires. Everyone from the service tech to the shop foreman to the service manager drove my car, and everyone one of them was annoyed that I actually expected them to fix my car. If anyone wanted to harass me those folks were motivated!

As it shook out, I got another set of tires from my dealer, Century West and the car was immediately quiet. Unfortunately, after about 100 miles the noise began to return and got louder and louder. A few weeks later I got a flat on the right rear tire and in the course of getting it replaced, the tire shop recorded the build dates of my "new" tires: they were older than the ones that were taken off!

Century West replaced my early production tires with a known noise problem with another set of EARLIER production tires with a known noise problem! I assume that they ordered a set of NEW quiet tires to put on the shelf as spares while fobbing the old whooping ones off on me.

Is it any wonder that I am a cynic about BMW and most especially about their claim to be a "Premium"brand.......

Also, when I dropped off the car the Service Manager at Century West BMW took me aside and asked that I promise not to post online about his "generous offer to replace my tires as a Goodwill Gesture" because if I do "then everyone else will want new tires too". I went along with this, against my better judgement, since it seemed to be the only way to get my car fixed, but after learning of how they tried to trick me I consider that agreement to be null and void.

If you are new to the BMW brand, welcome, incase you did not know the software and process of coding is basically identical for all current and recent BMW's. Older cars are a little different. With that said, a lot of enthusiasts drive BMW's, you might be familiar with their "M" cars; modern day enthusiasts are very much into coding, even if all they are changing are a few convenance features. So go ahead and code your car, I coded mine within a hour of buying it and it is the most expensive car I have ever bought! When they had to upgrade my software it all got cleared out, all I had to do was re-do the coding. Nothing was ever said, I never told them it was coded, they never told me it was coded. I wouldn't' be so bold as to discuss coding with anyone at BMW, but they know a lot of enthusiasts are coding.

Back