Knowing what you know now. Would you do it all over again?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely. Just over 5,000 perfectly trouble-free miles on our REX.

I manage my personal expectations very well, however. I made sure I knew what I was getting into, what the limitations were or all the considerations against them, identified any potential sacrifices, determined what I was happy to live with in terms of potential problems, etc. Managing personal expectations should be a compulsory part of education.

This is my first EV and my first BMW and hell will freeze over before I go back to ICE. BMW seem fine as well. The car is superb - exactly suits my needs and is the first car I've actually enjoyed driving.

Apart from one glitch, it's been trouble free. However, the glitch was fairly dramatic and saw the car lock up and go dark leaving me stranded by the roadside one night. BMW were great at sorting it out though - sending a flatbed and offering to send a replacement car out to me.

I'm fairly sanguine about the failure - I went into this eyes open. It's a new model in new materials running new software controlling an entirely new technology. I placed my order as soon as the UK order book opened and always regarded myself as a beta tester!

jadnashuanh said:
I was trying to get away from oil changes, filters, gasoline, mufflers, spark plugs, etc. needing service even if it isnt' all that often. 5-months old, but only a bit over 1500 miles (retired).

I've enquired about servicing costs for a REx before I placed my order early November: With the service package offered by my UK dealership, I'll pay £375 for the 2 services necessary during the first 5 years. This charge includes all oils and liquids for the REx. Other consumables (brakes/pads)are not included.

Without the service pack, each service would be £400+, IIRC. The service pack is well worth it, if your dealer offers one. £375 over 5 years is an acceptable price to pay for servicing. IMHO, REx servicing is not as expensive as people make it out to be.

If you can get buy without the REx, the initial cost, the constant penalty in EV range and acceleration rate (not that you should be using it), and the maintenance adds up...which, is what I felt was best for me. Certainly others needs may change that dynamic, and make the REx a great buy.

Back