Locked OUT!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke with the iConcierge today about the lock out incident.

The iConcierge advised me that the "lock if no door is opened" setting is a continuous feature, designed to lock the doors within some period of time (he didn't know exactly how long) if a door has not been opened. The key point is that opening a door only resets the timer, it does not cancel the function. He assured me this is the intended behavior of the function.

Assuming he knows what he's talking about, this makes that setting potentially very dangerous since there are a number of situations where you may leave your keys in the car with the doors closed for long enough to trigger the feature. This is particularly true for women who usually leave the fob in their purse.

I have of course disabled this function in my car!

Strange, when I left my keys in the car by mistake and tried to lock the door I couldn’t (I have comfort access). Similarly, when I left my keys in the back of the car, with my golf clubs, and closed the tail gate the car again did not re-lock which is its normal action if the car was locked when the tail gate was opened. Don’t know if it would have locked in either of those circumstances if I waited.

I would never leave my keys in the car on purpose and my wife would also never leave her handbag (purse) in the car.

Back