Long Range Trip: Oxford to Leeds and back in a day

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulnsenior

We purchased something on eBay and needed to collect in person on Sunday. We live near Oxford in the UK and needed to go north of Leeds to collect it. It was 178 miles there and 178 miles back! Rather than take the E-class estate we decided to have an "adventure" in our 94 i3 REX.
Anyway, nothing really to tell. We drove 150+ miles on the way up, stopping for 35 mins to recharge (ecotricity) and refuel at a service station (Shell). Then drove the whole way back and arrived with around 30 miles of range left. The REX fuel tank was brimmed before we started and brimmed again when we stopped. We averaged 65mph on the way up and down and total driving time was 6h10m. We completed the whole trip is just over 7 hours...
There was no drama, "ECO" as we call it just comfortably took us there and back.
We ran most of the way in Eco Pro+ mode, but when it got hot in the afternoon (18.5C) we switched to Eco Pro for some AC.

The 94aH i3 REX is amazing...

P.

The Eco modes do help especially when it's really cold or hot out. As opposed to the BEV which can come with a heat pump for heating, the REx uses resistance heating, and if you don't want to open the windows, using the a/c over 25mph is more efficient because of the induced drag eats up more than the a/c does unless you've got the fan on hurricane mode. Last I looked, each Eco mode step added about 10% on average (or 20% total) to the comfort mode's range.

Back