Looking to transfer my lease

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recipe0

Hey, all

I got a 30 month lease on a BMW i3 BEV about three months ago. So, 27 months left. I researched hard, got an amazing deal. I am paying $339/month for a just about fully loaded Teraworld. The only thing it is missing is heated seats, and it has 19" wheels. It has HK audio, it has adaptive cruise control. It is white. The thing is great. I love it. But I have to relocate across the country for work for at least six months. I live in Los Angeles.

I would really like to shed the lease. I think I will sign up for swapalease.com. But if anybody is interested, let me know.

I'm only at 2500 miles. I loathe having to give the car up.

Timing isn't right for me, but if it was I'd want to know if you were expecting to be paid out for your security deposit, and if your payment is inclusive of tax. BMWFS makes it pretty easy to get this done so it might be worth a call to them on your part to understand some of the details if you aren't already familiar with them. New lease owner has to pay a transfer fee to BMWFS and they'll also be on the hook for a lease disposition fee (as you are) at the end, often paid out of the security deposit. Still though, that is a really attractive monthly rate so you should have no issue. Good luck and great job on getting such a deal to begin with - makes it so much easier to get out from it!

I did not pay a security deposit. $339.58/month is everything, the whole shebang. There is a $500 fee which includes a credit check for the transferee. BMW Financial Services sent me an outline of the process. It is clearly very typical that this happens.

The car is so rad. I am going to cry when somebody else drives it away. :|

recipe0 said:
I am going to cry when somebody else drives it away. :|
Why not ship your i3 to your new work location? Or store it in LA while you're elsewhere? We store our i3 for 6 months each year while we are living in Sweden. It'll be waiting for us when we return no worse for wear.

Consider that by ditching your lease you will lose the $2500 California rebate you are eligible for (30 month lease). That alone covers six months of lease payments. If you have already claimed the rebate, you are violating the terms of the rebate by ditching the vehicle and exposing yourself to some risk.

Also, you did pay a security deposit. One security deposit is mandatory, while many of us will put down multiple security deposits to reduce the money factor. Putting down "multiple MSDs" is what experienced BMW lease people do in lieu of any down payment which is merely a cap cost reduction which exposes you to a lot of risk. But if you have written off your security deposit that is an additional benefit to the lease assumer which sweetens the deal. If that is really what you are doing, you might as well advertise that aspect of your offer to potential buyers.

I had not yet claimed the $2500 (it takes a long time for them to process it), so I just stopped the application. I have thought this through, and there are a number of factors that make shedding the lease better for me, right now. But I appreciate your concern.

I paid no security deposit. I did not pay multiple MSDs, because I just didn't need to.

I have somebody interested, and we have started the process. But in case that falls through, I will send a message to "mwu."

Thanks everybody!

I'm very interested. Why don't you send me a PM regarding the particulars of your lease.

Thanks!!!

recipe0 said:
Hey, all

I got a 30 month lease on a BMW i3 BEV about three months ago. So, 27 months left. I researched hard, got an amazing deal. I am paying $339/month for a just about fully loaded Teraworld. The only thing it is missing is heated seats, and it has 19" wheels. It has HK audio, it has adaptive cruise control. It is white. The thing is great. I love it. But I have to relocate across the country for work for at least six months. I live in Los Angeles.

I would really like to shed the lease. I think I will sign up for swapalease.com. But if anybody is interested, let me know.

I'm only at 2500 miles. I loathe having to give the car up.

Hi, on the off-chance it's still available, please post some photos.

Does it have Parking Assistant?

Back