Low cost charging issues

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M2140

Last week I tried to set my Rex to charge at nigh using the low cost charging. I configured the car using the iremote app. We had the car plugged in a ready to go and went to bed.

In the morning the car had not charged and the I remote app would not update.

We tried it again last night and noticed that as soon as I enabled low cost charging all communication to the I remote app stops. Nothing I do could get an update. So I disabled low cost charging and all of a sudden the app started working again.

I also noticed that when the app stopped getting updates from the car I only had 1 way communication to the car. For example I could lock the car and flash the lights. The car received the signal and responded. Bu the app showed a failure. I also could disable timers and low cost charging from the app to get the car to respond and start charging again.

Anyone else having a similar issue? I need low cost charging to work reliably to get the full saving potential from this car. I'm going to call BMW support next Monday to see what they can do.

As of yesterday, there was a widespread outage affecting all communication with the car. You might want to program the charge timer from iDrive and see if that works. Or confirm general communications (send a "honk horn" signal or whatever).

I don't think it was outage related. I'm still having problems.

I'm nervous about using low cost charging now. Today I tried to set charging starting at 6pm. After I set it, once again I lost communication to the car using the app. App read 0% charge and would not update. I checked the car and it was charging but there was an error about reduced charging.

Once I manually set the departure time back my normal schedule and restarted the charging by disconnecting the plug it started charging normal and after a little while communication with the app was restored.

Back