Max/Min charge option on 3-pin charging?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanSerif

Digging around the menus, I found an option to increase charging to "max" while charging on the 3-pin socket.

So what have I actually changed? Have I increased the current draw (and therefore reduced charging time)? Is this OK? There were no warnings when I set this option - but I'm wondering why it wasn't the default?

It's been charging for a few hours and neither the car nor the house has burned down.

SanSerif said:
Digging around the menus, I found an option to increase charging to "max" while charging on the 3-pin socket.

So what have I actually changed? Have I increased the current draw (and therefore reduced charging time)? Is this OK? There were no warnings when I set this option - but I'm wondering why it wasn't the default?

It's been charging for a few hours and neither the car nor the house has burned down.

As I understand you can MAX charge 10A in UK, so you have to recalculate my numbers.
In Norway the MAX current from the standard charger is 12A, and this is what you get on MAX (in Norway), "Reduced" is 9A, and LOW is 6A.
The reason you have these options is that you can charge on a lower current, if you have to "share" the capacity with other devices++, and it come default on lower than MAX to "be sure".

The ability to set a charging rate to one lower than 10 A is good news for me as it will help me match the car demand to the temporal supply curve I have from my solar panels. However to make this option more usable I wonder whether either of the following might be possible.

1. Build a sequence of charging rates into a programmed charge.
e.g charge at 6 A for 1 hour, then 8 A for 1 hour, then 10 A for 2 hours etc.

2. Alter the charging rate from the remote app.

If anyone can answer those that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Bill

Hey staged charging schedules for solar would be a great addition to the 'sustainability' image that BMW are pushing around with the i3.

It should be pretty simple to add a scheduling tool to the app... If you have the app contact the author and see if it can be incorporated.

Back