Media screen going blank

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My display rebooted just Friday about 5 times in short order on a number of individual driving segments. It did not crash before nor did it crash since. Seems a lot of people seem to have been affected last Friday (31-Oct) but didn't have the symptoms before or after.

So I guess Stevei3's info that BMW changed something on their back-end systems that affected our cars seems to be plausible.

Dear All,

I3 is connected to a backbone via GSM if network is working fine.
If connected to the backbone there are several functions available.. for example the update of new charging stations.
Now BMW messed up on of these updates which lead to rebooting of you headunit (good question why systems design is so weak ....).

Its all these guys fault ;P - http://www.bmw-carit.com

As a side note they appear to be hiring a lot of QA personnel, I think this is a wise decision...

Jokes aside it should not be possible to crash a remote client from a backend datasource, the golden rules been 1) Never trust a client device 2) client device should always assume data it receiving is broken and check accordingly.

I am pretty sure #2 isn't/wasn't being followed.

Looks like there is also an iDrive software patch to properly fix this, received this from my dealer this morning:

The connected drive fault. This has been traced to a corrupted file in the telematics communication box. This file contained data for the displayed charging stations. There is a modified file available as of 04.11.14.

Where did this come from? Lucky for me it happened when I picked up the car, helped me get some excellent compensation!

Latest posts

Back