My First Long REx Trip

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drb

Today I drove from Huntington Beach, California to San Diego--a roundtrip of 211 miles. It was an exciting prospect to see how my i3 would perform, and I was looking forward to it with a child-like excitement.

My plan involved charging at the new EvGO Freedom Station in San Diego's Fashion Valley. Happily I first contacted EvGO to find out if the station was up and running. First, I emailed EvGO but did not receive a response for three days. When I did, the email informed me that the station was out of service and would not be up and running in time for my trip. A disappointment! Before I got the email response, I called EvGO and learned that the station was operational. Shortly after being reassured I received the disappointing email. Thus, I called EvGO one more time. The nice lady on the other end of the line informed me that the station was up and running. I then pushed the subject, telling her about the email. After a few minutes as she investigated this issue and I held on the line, she returned to tell me that, after all, it was not in service. EvGO is clearly not easy-go and needs to get its act together. Service and reliable information is more than half the success of any company whose product requires direct interaction with the public.

The ride to San Diego was enjoyable and easy. My car was occupied by three large men--each over 200 pounds and one considerably over. We made it to Carlsbad before the car switched over to the REx leaving us about 36 miles to our destination. I started off the drive in Echo Pro but the air conditioning was just not strong enough to cool the cabin so I switched to Comfort mode which gave me a better stream of cooling air. I am a spoiled Southern Californian and don't intend in this regard to alter my way of life. The a/c performed as I hoped it would in Comfort and the three of us happily motored our way to my San Diego meeting.

Once in San Diego one of my companions took the i3 for a charge while I attended a meeting. The meeting ended early and he only got about 30 minutes on the charge as a result of which we picked up one bar on the guess-o-meter. This barely amounted to much given the time it took for him to get to a ChargePoint station and back, fundamentally exhausting the amount of the charge.

The ride home was mainly fueled by the REx's charge to the battery. On the way to San Diego we encountered a couple of longish inclines driving on the REx. After all the horror stories I read on this blog about how the car will slow to a crawl on the freeway, I was anticipating the worst. I was pleasantly surprised--we never slowed from our speed which was generally between 68 and 73 mph. On the way home, it was a different story. On one particularly long incline, the vehicle began to slow precipitously. We went in a matter of seconds from 73mph to 31mph, regaining speed once we made it to the top of the hill. During this process, other than moving to the right lane of the road, the three of us broke out in hard laughter, unable to contain ourselves until the car picked up speed again. We knew this might happen, but knowing it and experiencing it are two very different things. I could have taken another route without the hills and next time I will certainly do so. BMW, in future iterations of the i3, please give us manual control over the REx as in Europe or allow the REx to automatically turn on when the battery has more juice, say at 25% or charge.

What lesson did I learn from today? In the past when I wanted to go to San Diego or any other location, other than fueling my car, I would get into it and drive, not giving a second thought to other considerations. If you plan a long journey in the i3, planning is necessary including a little research to make sure that you have the necessary charge stations and routing for an efficient and enjoyable trip.

My trip in the i3 REx was otherwise a pleasant experience, reaffirming my decision to purchase the vehicle. I had to fuel the REx leaving San Diego and again half way home, but the time it took to fuel and the cost of the fuel by comparison to what my old Lexus required was a thought that sustained me through some of today's ups and downs. Most of my trips will be in the 80-120 mile range, a cake walk for this car. But when I need to make a lengthier drive, I will do so without trepidation but with considerable more planning than I put into my drive today.

Thanks for the report. Given the tools available to calculate elevation gain between two map points, it would be awesome if somes smart person would gin up a web or iphone app that would tell you approx when you need to slow down to build up max SOC buffer before a known incline, and the max safe speed to cruise up the hill such that you won't "hit the wall" before the summit. E.g., if you are headed South on Highway 17, the app would look ahead to find the next highpoint and work backwards to give actionable advice on how to best approach the hill if you are in REX mode.

Until BMW fixes the issue (if ever), I would like to find the least painful workarounds.

I'm not sure an app is necessary. When going uphill on REx-power, if you proactively slow down to around 55 mph in ECO mode it seems like you can go up forever without loosing speed. On these long CA inclines there are typically a bunch of people going 55 so you will have some company.

Through trial and error, I happened upon "55 mph", but in another thread ultraturtle did some magical mathematical analysis and came with the magic number "56 mph". So I'm betting that the sweet spot is somewhere around there. If you see the grey/blue bars start to disappear, that should be a clue to slow down a little more ;)

Here on the east coast I'm unlikely to have to deal with a hills like people in California do. But I might end up trying to do 75 MPH into a headwind with the heat on while using the REx So I'd like a way to know whether the REx is keeping up with power consumption or not.

Currently all we have is that small remaining battery bar between the triangle at 6.5% and empty. I measure the length of that at 1/8 of an inch (3mm). If you've got an 1/8 of an inch of battery on REx you are doing OK, but if it drops to 1/16 of an inch or less you may be in trouble. The differnce is just a few pixels wide on the display. That's not very easy to judge while driving.

Ideally I'd like to see the exact battery charge level down to a tenth of a percent so I can see whether the charge is dropping from 6.0 to 5.9% etc. Bonus points if it tells me the kW currently being produced by the REx and what is going in or out of the battery.

I'd settle for a REx buffer meter displaying from 0 to 7% that is as large as the current gas and battery meters. Possibly when under 10% battery SOC the battery meter could switch to zoom mode showing the last 10% of the battery. That would make it a lot easier to judge how the REx is keeping up.

I don't want warning message like "Battery exhaustion immanent! Reduce speed now". I want to be able to see the exact state of that last bit of battery as it's critical to REx operation. We need to be able to see when the REx isn't keeping up before we experience drastically reduced power.

If you have the professional nav, and you set your destination and engage it, it will offer various routes and display your expected range which will change based on the routes. It was my understanding that the car does have (at least in the Pro nav) enough info on hills, etc., to make a reasonable assessment. You do not get the same level of information or options if you do not engage a route, or, I think, if you don't have the pro version.

Depending on the ambient, starting out either preconditioned or in comfort mode, may get the cabin cool enough so that the eco pro could keep up, but that also depends on the number and size of the people in there! A body dissipates a fair amount, not counting solar influx.

FWIW, I had some 3M Crystalline Tint on mine, and even in a light tint (mine's VERY light since my state frowns on it at all on the front windows and windshield) and it does make a big difference on both the UV and IR influx - it's MUCH better as even light tints than most others at significantly darker ones. THe stuff is neat (and expensive) - has over 200 layers of nanotech coatings, not metallic so it doesn't affect cellphone operation or radio reception (but that may not be an issue, depending on what you have).

As to cold and using the heat pump...depends on how cold it is...a heat pump is just the a/c running backwards, so depending on how warm it is, and your setting, it might not be any worse than driving in the summer, and there, solar influx might help and a tint may not!

Back