Navigation data update 2015-2

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryandesign

What is the story with updating the navigation system?

I have the Technology & Driving Assistant Package, so I have the professional navigation system. I bought the car 3 weeks ago, and it came with map version 2015-1 and my client advisor gave me a code to activate it and it works fine.

I have what I believe to be the 2015-2 map files on a USB drive. I've connected it to the car, and it displays a message telling me the drive contains a newer version of the navigation data. So far so good. When I choose Start update, it asks me to enter an activation code. Entering the activation code my client advisor gave me previously does not work.

From other sources I was given to understand that a navigation system activation code should work for all updates of the same year, so I don't understand why the code that worked to activate my original 2015-1 map data won't activate the 2015-2 map data.

My experience, based on 3 years with a F11, is that each map update requires a separate (new) VIN-based activation code. Some 'third party' sellers are selling a lifetime code but I confess I have no idea how this works. This link might be worth a read:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/01/06/bmw-offer-air-updates-bmw-navigation-maps/

I was told that the FSC code was good for the year, as in -1, -2 -x, but the OP results seem to contradict that. It may work on some models, though. The i3 uses a different series of maps (I think) than my older,2011 vehicle. This all gets a little interesting based on a press release BMW made in January indicating that they would be pushing updates (free) to cars. The press release did NOT say when this would occur, or if it would be retroactive to existing customers, and they had no further comment when I asked. They may wait until the cars are coming with LTE connections sometime in the future (maybe 2015 models?).

On UK site:

The Navigation system Professional offers drivers a design implemented completely in 3D combined with an innovative interface concept and numerous functions for navigation, office and multimedia. In its latest generation the Navigation System Professional in connection with BMW ConnectedDrive even carries out automatic updates of the navigation maps.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/connected_drive_services/how_to_use/index.html

Automatic free navigation updates would be lovely (and the only sane way for a navigation system to be implemented) but so far I have no evidence or confirmation that this applies or will apply to the i3.

How do you tell what Map is already installed?

I have asked my dealer and he says the only update available is 2015-1 despite delivery of my car being delayed by 24 Hours in January for the latest navigation update.

Nav (map view)> Option Button > Map Version (Need to parked to see it)

2015-2 has literally only just dropped in the last couple of weeks, I doubt dealers have started to pick it up yet.

Generally you need FSC code for each update, some cars that a built and programmed as new maps are published get a FSC code for the current and next but its not universal. I had to FSC code mine when I went from 2014-2 to 2015-1.

It is also possible to get a "Lifetime" FSC code, but thats a bit of a misnomer as it only gives you 5 updates.

I haven't looked at 2015-2 yet.

I have no personal experience, but I was told, within a release year, on some, the FSC code works, but 2014-2 to 2015-1 would be a new year, and I would not expect it to work. I'm hoping that BMW will make the effort to push new versions free, as they announced at a press conference in January. This may only apply to some models in the future, and not to units already sold. THey would not say when asked.

Well I've just checked and I currently have 2015-1, my dealer says that 2015.2 is not available yet and it will be a £200 upgrade fee. He says the free online upgrade is only for cars with a 4G SIM, like the new 2 series.

Anyway, I have downloaded the 2015-2 map and am waiting for a FSC code to be delivered so I can load it

Back