Navigation map update process ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My car shipped with 2015-1. (April 2015). I was able to download, put the 2015-2 on a usb stick and update. No codes needed
YMMV

As to differences, not really.. since I did it soon after getting the car it's tough to say. I don't remember so much detailed junction guidance? just a feeling may be wrong.

That's interesting...I'd heard conflicting stories about whether you could load the update from the same year without needing a code. I've always jumped at least a year, and, unless they've changes something, I don't think you can go from say 2015-2 to 2016-1 for free at the moment. May have to try when that becomes available.

Rather than start a new topic, can someone tell me what's the optimal way to FIND a destination on the nav?

My typical use case is a restaurant. If I go to Enter Destination it wants to know the address, which of course I don't know. How do you handle this? Currently, I look up the address on my iPhone (just enter the name of the restaurant Maps, tap the pin to get address) and then copy it manually using iDrive.

Surely there is a better way than this? :shock: I'm new to iDrive...

You can easily search for categories. If you select dining, you can then also refine it by the type of restaurant. If you know part of the name, that can help narrow it down quicker.

I would almost never know the type of restaurant as so many are a fusion. I will try tonight to start with Category and then Name and see if it works.

It would be better IMO to have Name at the topmost level. That's I how use navigation on my phone. Category seems like an unnecessary extra step, but I'll do it that way from iDrive if it means I can leave my phone in my pocket.

spinball said:
…Currently, I look up the address on my iPhone (just enter the name of the restaurant Maps, tap the pin to get address) and then copy it manually using iDrive....

Instead of using Apple or Google Maps on your phone, try i Remote. From the main status screen, swipe left to get the Mobility screen. Tap the Map button then perform your search. Tap the location popup on the map and you'll go to an Information screen that includes a Send To Vehicle button.

On the iDrive screen, an envelope icon will appear in the status area, next to the phone signal strength bars, I believe. From the main screen, selected Connected Drive > Messages.

Describing the process sounds makes it sound like a lot of steps but I think it's easier than entering an address manually. I'm guessing i Remote uses Google Maps data but not sure. Regardless it found every SF restaurant I have tried by name. No idea if the database is as robust in other regions.

Thanks, I'll try the app too.

I did try by "keyword" yesterday and it did find what I was looking for both times without having to enter the entire name.

planetf1 said:
My car shipped with 2015-1. (April 2015). I was able to download, put the 2015-2 on a usb stick and update. No codes needed
YMMV

MMDV. My car shipped with 2015-1 when I bought it Feb 2015. I downloaded 2015-2 onto a USB stick, but the car would not update without entering a code, and the code I got from the dealer for 2015-1 did not work.

I called BMW and asked them to give me 2015-2, because it came out so soon after I bought my car. They stated my car already has the latest; that there is nothing newer than 2015-1.

Well, that's just totally uninformed! 2015-2 has been out for at least several months...I installed it on both of my cars (unfortunately, they take different versions, so I had one hell of a lot of data to download!).

Quick reply on the POI search - restuarant, hotel etc

I generally use the "online search" which seems to work pretty well for fairly unique names. searches in google then easy to navigate to...

Back