New 94 Battery

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot

Hi all,

Just picked up new i3 (New 94 Battery) part exed my 2015 i3.
On my first i3 got as high as 97 mile on full charge.
That was after 8 months of 80 to 88 mile on full charge

9th Aug 2016 pickup new i3, its full charge in comfort was 134 miles.
I like town driving in Eco-plus, switched to eco-plus mileage it
shot up to 154 miles.
That's double my 80 mile's on 2015 i3.

Pleased.

Thanks BF.

Cool to hear some real world usage. Will be interesting to see more as people start getting the 2017.

This is exciting to read! My 2017 is currently on a ship in the Atlantic. I test drove a 2016 but decided to wait for the 94ah battery. Now I know I made the right decision.

Those seem like some light-footed numbers. What would the numbers be not even trying?

Full AC, full comfort, 50/50 city highway passing slow pokes and not even trying to maximize mileage?
What was that like on the old i3 (no Rex)?

35mphgolf said:
Those seem like some light-footed numbers. What would the numbers be not even trying?

Full AC, full comfort, 50/50 city highway passing slow pokes and not even trying to maximize mileage?
What was that like on the old i3 (no Rex)?

Agreed.... I got 98 miles on first 'full charge' in my Protonic Blue 94Ah REX... A little bit of motorway driving, some more 'spirited driving / acceleration' general showing off with new passengers etc etc.
Video:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtsETbbiu4s

I think the quoted 114 mile range is definitely achievable (real world), if using Eco Pro/Eco Pro+ (the majority of the time) and also driving generally sensibly.

Roadracer1977 said:
I think the quoted 114 mile range is definitely achievable (real world), if using Eco Pro/Eco Pro+ (the majority of the time) and also driving generally sensibly.
I believe the E.P.A.'s 114 mile range is for the 94aH BEV with no REx range published yet. The REx range will be lower, but we don't know how much.

alohart said:
I believe the E.P.A.'s 114 mile range is for the 94aH BEV with no REx range published yet. The REx range will be lower, but we don't know how much.
We managed 103.1 miles in (one of!) our 94Ah i3 REx's driving in Eco-Pro mode.... The majority of the driving was on the motorway, and UK A-roads, so not many brake regen opportunities.... Plus there was still 10 mile range in the battery, so that's pretty close to the 114 mile quoted range.

Video of the 'road trip' / test below:-
https://youtu.be/kul_9pJqhYE

Roadracer1977 said:
We managed 103.1 miles in (one of!) our 94Ah i3 REx's driving in Eco-Pro mode.... The majority of the driving was on the motorway, and UK A-roads, so not many brake regen opportunities.... Plus there was still 10 mile range in the battery, so that's pretty close to the 114 mile quoted range.
For what it's worth, the U.S. E.P.A. has rated the 2017 REx's electric-only range at only 97 miles with the gasoline range a surprisingly low 83 miles, only 5 miles more than the 2016 REx despite having an additional 0.5 gallons of gasoline available, and with the lowest possible CO2 emissions and smog emissions ratings which has to be a mistake. None of this makes sense when compared with the U.S. 2016 REx. Hopefully, we'll understand what's happening now that 2017 U.S. REx's are being delivered to their owners.

alohart said:
For what it's worth, the U.S. E.P.A. has rated the 2017 REx's electric-only range at only 97 miles with the gasoline range a surprisingly low 83 miles, only 5 miles more than the 2016 REx despite having an additional 0.5 gallons of gasoline available, and with the lowest possible CO2 emissions and smog emissions ratings which has to be a mistake. None of this makes sense when compared with the U.S. 2016 REx. Hopefully, we'll understand what's happening now that 2017 U.S. REx's are being delivered to their owners.
Yeah that doesn't seem right to me... I'm currently working on another video where I am logging my Eco-Pro+ daily commute (approx 20 miles) and I'm at exactly 50% battery remaining and have covered 66 miles... Which based on that would mean I should be able to achieve somewhere in the region of 130 miles on a single charge.

Bigfoot
You showing some impressive range figures. You able to post some pics of the range achieved? What type of driving?

Things that will increase your efficiency on an ICE, also apply to an EV...smooth driving, minor use of the brakes resulting from anticipating when you're going to need to slow down (regen will never be as efficient as coasting!), limiting your maximum speed (and moderating your acceleration to get there), and, somewhat unique to the EV, limiting the use of cabin heating (since you can't use waste heat form the engine).

FWIW, I almost always have achieved greater efficiency on my cars than the EPA (in the USA) ratings would suggest was 'normal'. I don't let grass grow under my tires, either! You don't have to be slow, just not be the first one across the intersection, and the fastest one on the road...go with the flow, maintain a decent gap with those ahead so you don't have to slow down, then speed up to keep tailgating them. When I was learning to drive, the instructor placed an empty, glass, milk jug on the floorboard. You lost points for each time you knocked it over during the lessons. It's surprising how smooth (and fast) you can go without disturbing that milk jug! Sawing around a corner, late braking, jump starts, all would kill it...same thing with efficiency, and your passengers (and car - tires, brakes, shocks, etc.) will last longer, too.

Back