New design KLE

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sparky said:
Got tired of waiting for my car to clear the port. Committed to another car within 50 of my original VIN. How can I find out if my new car has the redesigned KLE?

I don't believe there is any way to establish that. Unfortunately there are still many dealers that aren't up to speed on this and may not be able to help. I am working with BMW NA now to get official information on KLE replacement for everybody concerned and I'll also see if I can get some info on the dividing line in VINs that distinguish new cars with the the old one from the new one. I'll post here once I have it.

Ask for the integration level of the car. If it is 07-503 than it does not have the new KLE, if it's 07-505 or higher it has the new software (and the new KLE).

TomMoloughney said:
I don't believe there is any way to establish that. Unfortunately there are still many dealers that aren't up to speed on this and may not be able to help. I am working with BMW NA now to get official information on KLE replacement for everybody concerned and I'll also see if I can get some info on the dividing line in VINs that distinguish new cars with the the old one from the new one. I'll post here once I have it.

While it's pathetic that BMW refuses to provide any quality information to it's customers, we are all grateful for your continued sharing of whatever you can learn. I have three current questions:

1) When can I get a new KLE and my charge rate restored to the full 7kW level? I have a BEV and I'm only able to have a 110v charger at home and thus frequently use public charge stations where the degradation in charge rate is a significant problem.

2) My original understanding was that the 07-503 downgrade of charge rate was temperature dependent, degrading the charge power "up to 30%" to protect the KLE from overheating. Yesterday I was charging in 50F which is a fairly cool temperature, and the max charge rate was 5.4kW, about 70% of the full rate. As far as I can tell the 30% reduction is a constant and not temperature dependent at all.

3) What was in the 07-505 software?

Thanks!

Unless my volt/amp meter is way off, I'm getting about the max my EVSE can provide of just under 7Kw/hr. Note, I rarely drive the thing very far, so the internals are probably not up to max operating temperature, so that may affect it and yes, I do have the latest software installed. It's not just ambient temp that is important, it's more the actual battery pack and corresponding charging electronics temperature. Immediately charging after driving say 30-miles may have things warmer and thus restrict the charge rate verses only driving 10-miles, for example.

We have cold weather ever since i got the car on oct. 30 and have yet to see charge rate above 25 amp@240v at home or 5.8kw on public charger . There may be sweet spot in temperature but i never seem to be there. I charge most of the time after driving for at least 30 minutes. Once i had the car sit all day at work in cold and late in afternoon i used the chargepoint there and it would only charge 3.2kw at most which i assumed was due to really cold batterys. It would be possible that if i let the car sit for 1 hour when i get home it would charge @30amps but that would still take just as long with 1hr wait. I am just hoping we wont have to worry about it much longer as new KLE's arive.

One thing to consider, of the handful of EVSE close enough to me to consider using, about 1/2 of them max out a 3.8Kw...IOW, just because it is an EVSE connected to 240vac does not mean it is capable of charging the i3 at its maximum. I have no idea why I'm seeing nearly 30A most of the time with mine, and according to BMW, it does have the latest software in it.

Back