New Owner Charging Questions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All EVSE devices contain the equivalent of a GFCI circuit. It will work when plugged into one, and if it is plugged in, that plug probably requires it since who knows what else might eventually be plugged in (garages, outside, basements, kitchens, bathrooms, all require one). I was told that it is supposed to function in a wet environment, but I'd not really want the thing setting in a puddle. Rain, yes, submerged, no.

Good to know that the standard BMW L1 charger will work on a GFCI circuit. And it sounds like rain shouldn't be a problem as long as I have the main "box" off the ground and not sitting in a puddle. Actually, it will be on a hook under the overhang of the roof, so should really only get wet if we have a pretty good wind blowing.

Thanks for answering those questions for me!

Still a week and a half away from picking up my i3 (will drive it 700 miles home), so still researching and getting familiar with things, and charging options, in particular. You guys have really been terrific with your answers!

Another question regarding using public charging stations. I know that some are free but others charge. Can you simply insert a credit card at these stations, like you do at a gas station? Or do you have to have a membership to a particular charge provider in order to use these stations? The latter would seem to be a bit painful since I'm guessing there are multiple different charge providers?

The various charging networks use a hodge-podge of credit/debit swipers, private-brand proximity cards, and smartphone apps for payment and to authorize the chosen charger to turn on. Use the PlugShare web site (https://www.plugshare.com) or app to plan your stops between the orange-colored (DC high-speed) charging locations, and find out what payment methods each of them take. Also check the PlugShare user check-ins, to see if there are frequent reports of charging problems at a location you are planning to utilize on your journey.

In the tri-state NY/NJ area, EVgo has an acceptable footprint of high-speed chargers. They have card swipers, or you can download their smartphone app for a possibly better rate. In preparation for charging on the drive home with my new-to-me i3 a few weeks ago, I downloaded the app and signed up for a free account. They sent me a free proximity card for signing up about a week after my trip, which I may use occasionally if I ever have to charge away from home.

Electrify America is building out their local network here, including at some Wal-Mart locations. Their chargers have Mastercard/Visa swipers according to their web site. Greenlots (Shell) have some of the NY Thruway service area sites, and I don't see a credit card slot on the charger in the PlugShare pictures for the nearest one to me. They also have the highest charging price in our region, so I wouldn't sign up for them here except in an emergency.....

Yikes! Sounds like a hodge-podge of options. Thanks for the Plug Share app recommendation. I'm wondering how accurate it is overall though, as I did a quick search for my surrounding area and some chargers that I know exist aren't shown. But this is a small town so maybe the chargers on major routes are better documented.

In any case, this looks like a valuable app. I'm going to take some time checking out the route I will be taking home with the i3 after purchase, although I plan to do that trip mostly on the REX. But there are some towns that we drive to once or twice a month that will be doable on full electric if I can get a quick charge when we get there (mall, or other), so hopefully the app will help me figure that out and figure out what card/app I need for payment.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

PlugShare is a crowd-sourced data system, not associated with any particular charging network. Please sign up and enter any local missing chargers, so that others can use them! Through user check-ins, you can get an idea for chargers with reliability issues or ones that are frequently ICEd (blocked by internal combustion engine vehicles). You can also see user-provided pictures of many locations, to help find those hidden chargers.

I was at a local Kia dealership over the weekend to look at the Niro EV, and the salesperson pointed out that they have two chargers in their parking lot. I noticed afterward that they were not listed on PlugShare, and plan to go back and gather the information to add them at some point this week.

Funny story. The salesperson was actually bragging about their dealership's charging stations as if they were special, while saying that EVs will never take off because of the lack of chargers in our area. I had to point out that the Nissan dealership 1/4 mile down the road sells the LEAF, and has three chargers. The Chevy dealership a little further down sells the Volt, and has a high-speed DC charger. There's also public chargers at the commuter lot across the street, and Electrify America is installing a high-speed DC charger at Wal-Mart about a mile away. All of these in addition to my charging station hanging outside of our garage at home. If my day job in IT doesn't work out, maybe I should consider a new gig in selling cars????? :lol:

Good idea. I will indeed add the missing chargers.

I'm a bit bummed that PlugShare doesn't show any chargers at the big mall or restaurants where we go every month or so in a town about 40 miles from here. The REX will get us home, but would be nice to plug in while shopping. The BMW dealer about 10 miles from there does have a couple of chargers that show up on PlugShare but that's not a very handy place to hang out for a couple of hours. But then again I know that EV life will be a bit of an adventure and I'm looking forward to it!

Im really new to all this as I'll be getting my first second hand i3 very soon here. One thing that I've noticed and hope someone can answer for me. Looking at the charging stations that support the ccs standard on places like plug share show the ccs/sae connector but show a type one connector and that is non dependent on state or city. Everywhere I look shows that connector icon. So my question is if I can't find a type 2 connector anywere how are people using the ccs type 1 connectors that I see online and read about... I don't want to have to buy a type 1 to type 2 connected adapter as those run for $190~$1000 and loose out on the sae fast dc charging.

smeefree said:
... my question is if I can't find a type 2 connector anywere how are people using the ccs type 1 connectors that I see online and read about...

May I presume you're in the US? IEC Type 1 (SAE J1772) is the standard in the US, so any i3 that was originally sold here will have a Type 1 connector.

CCS charging was optional in 2014, so first, you'd want to verify yours has it. If yours does, you can use any CCS or EVSE unit (DC fast charging or level 1-2 acv charging from an EVSE).

The CCS plug is essentially the level 1 plug with an additional two pins below that provide the DCV input.

With acv inputs, the actual charging circuits (acv-dcv) is in the car, and that will limit the speed at which it can charge. With a dcv input, the car is limited to a maximum of 50Kw, but will adjust itself depending on the state of the charge and the temperature.

Back