Orange reflector delete.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAirman

I never did like the orange front side reflectors on any color car than red or maybe BWM's Sunset Orange paint like my 330e was. Color matching the front reflectors is a "big thing" on the other BMW forums. So I decided to give it a go on my i3.

I think it cleans up the look real nice.

We'll see if the state inspection boys catch it.

IMG_0509.jpg
IMG_0519.jpeg

You can buy them from IND Distributing painted for about 100USD. Or you can buy used ones and paint them yourself. Either way, the are held in with 3M tape.

Thanks. Like you, I drive a Sport model. I've had a set of painted reflectors from IND-Distribution ready to install for about eight months. With a plastic trim tool and heat gun in hand, I stopped about 10 minutes into the job because, despite applying heat to the front and back of the reflector, the amount of force required to remove it was loosening the adjacent wheel arch, which is also affixed with double-sided tape. So I stopped and try not to look at the amber abominations ;)

Any tips/advice on how to remove the amber reflectors on the Sport models? I'd like to try again in a few weeks while putting the summer wheels back on.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 9.36.14 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 9.36.31 AM.png

Turn the steering wheel left or right, which ever lets you gain access to removing those few bottom inner fender liner screws.

The 3M tape used to hold the reflectors in is super, super strong. Working from the back side, use a pry tool and start prying up an edge at the bottom. Or use anything you can find strong enough to start an edge. As hard as I pryed, it never broke the original reflector.

Once you get an edge started, push inward on the reflector and just keep prying from the back. Then it starts to go faster.

The hardest part was cleaning up the left over tape stuck to the inside so the new reflector sits flush. I used good old fashion finger nails, and my plastic scraper tools until the area was smooth. Clean it up with rubbing alcohol, stick the new one on.

Back