Petition to extend 200,000 vehicles cap for tax credit

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glisicusa

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/increase-ev-tax-credit-cap-manufacturer

Lets see if we can collect enough signatures for this petition.

It is a government website. Worth a try i think.

OK, I have looked at this petition and I will not be signing it because:
200,000 EVs per manufacturer should be plenty for each of them to work out the bugs and develop economies of scale and compete directly with ICEs. Yes, I know that the oil & gas industry gets gargantuan taxpayer subsidies, and I would enthusiastically sign a petition to eliminate those.
Another reason is a tinge of guilt. I could apply for special a white sticker here in California, to take my single-occupant EV in special freeway lanes originally reserved for multiple-occupancy vehicles, a privilege that fosters resentment amongst drivers stuck in traffic, many of whom cannot (yet) afford the premium of an EV. Also, I am a free-rider on public roads which are (partially) maintained through the gas (petrol) tax which I do not pay. Somewhat separately, my solar panels also come with taxpayer subsidies. All in all I am well coddled by other taxpayers, most of whom are probably poorer than I, and that does not sit well with my conscience.
So no, I will not be signing this petition.

More EV's may further allow our infrastructure to deteriorate. It is showing up as a concern enough that some places are thinking of changing the tax collected at the fuel pump to be an annual bill for miles driven to even out the field. That will decrease some of the incentive to buy an EV, but make it fairer for everyone. It would be a major pain to administer, though, which may be one reason it hasn't gotten much traction, yet.

Back