Pre 2018 option packages $20k>

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eNate said:
You can take a peek at the car's estimate of its battery capacity by following along with this video, describing the "hidden menu."

https://youtu.be/tw5i1Ki-RpY

But like I was saying, nobody test drives an i3 with a delicate touch, so what you're seeing is normal. On the dealer's lot, the 2017 showed 80 miles estimated range with a full charge.

Once I got it home and I'm the one driving it, I routinely see 134 miles estimated range on a full charge.

Thanks so much that was very helpful!

Yes I agree with the 20’s... can we get aftermarket wheels by any chance????

Okay so I was able to check or actually the dealer guy did that Battery Life Status check. And the 2014 Rex model said it had about 13.9 and the 2017 Rex said it had about 28.8 battery life left. What do you guys think of those numbers? Is that normal ?

Also if I got the 2014 with about 14 battery life, do you know the rough estimate of range of driving? I think normally the 2014 is about 70 miles full charge?

The 2014 has a 22kW battery and when new has close to 19 kWh available for use.

The battery capacity value the technician accessed is displaying available capacity.

The problem with this reading is that it is known to swing by one or two kWh. Some users suggest you mostly deplete the battery then fully recharge it before looking at this figure. I've also seen recommendations to make sure the battery is at a "normal" ambient temperature (around 70°F).

So while at face value, 13.9 kWh seems low, there's more to the story.

In answer to your second question, if you average 4.5 miles per kWh -- a "lowaverage" driving efficiency figure that should be pretty easy to hit with a mix of city and highway driving -- you'll get around 62 miles of range if that battery capacity is correct. Cold weather, highway speeds, and inefficient driving (mashing the accelerator; not using regenerative braking) can adversely impact this range.

I would echo Nate's comment about cold weather affecting battery-only driving range. This is my first winter with my 2014 i3/REX and I was pretty startled by the hit that battery range takes in colder weather. I'm seeing about a 10% hit in 40-ish weather and around 25% when it gets into the high 20's and low 30's. If you live where the winters get cold, be sure to factor this into your decision making process.

So if it were up to you, which one would you get?

The 2014 or so Rex for around $15-17k?

Or

The 2017 Rex w/moonroof for $22k?

The 2014 one is a hair quicker then, it wasn’t just me and my friend (we both thought it was. Bit quicker)

747lexus said:
So if it were up to you, which one would you get?

I'd say you've painting yourself into a corner with a false choice.

For starters, decide what range you need. I sat down with my Google maps history and looked over a few months of data. Even though my usual day was 45 miles of driving, I had days regularly that were in the 80 to 100 range, and a few outliers.

Granted, I specifically didn't want the complication of a REX, so this decision was a little more fraught, but decide for yourself how many days you'll need to use the REX (vs. finding a nearby Level 3 charger and waiting 30 minutes to get to 80%).

Then decide if there are any "must have" or "must not have" options. Only then will you know what you're looking for.

Lastly, the 2014 on your list possibly has a compromised battery. Have you resolved that? (Run it down, fully recharged, recheck the battery capacity reading.)

I'm just concerned that you're "settling" for one of these two cars, and the sunroof is the critical deciding factor that you're asking the peanut gallery to select.

There are manymanymany i3's for sale. Don't buy one you're not sure you want.

Back