Pricing Rumours .........

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Davidfromdigswell said:
Correction to above. It has based the £380 on a price of £25k net of grant and suggests that most buyers will prefer to lease (including me!)

I've never done a lease before ..... but that doesn't sound like they have taken the £5k grant into consideration.

I've just had a leaflet dropped through my door .... a new Mercedes A Class 1.8 Diesel Auto with metallic paint is £250pm over 3 years (with 3 Months deposit) OK its only an SE - & I don't like the new A Class but that is a £25k car easily - so either BMW FS are charging a very high Apr or they think the residuals for the EV will be awful.

Lets hope the Rex version rate is better.

Personally I think the Rex residuals will be high (typical BMW maybe even Mini) whereas the Pure EV version not so.

Parker wrote: "Personally I think the Rex residuals will be high (typical BMW maybe even Mini) whereas the Pure EV version not so."

I agree with this. I expect cars equipped with the range extender to be much easier to resell and will sell for more money. A used EV is still an unknown. People don't know what to expect of the battery life and range after it's 3 or 4 years old so there will be apprehension to buy. If the car has the REx then much of the fear will be alleviated because they know the car will still be a capable vehicle, even if it means they will use a little more gas than a new i3 would.

Personally I'd be inclined to avoid the Rex version just to avoid the associated maintenance. It's one of the reasons the Volt stopped appealing to me once pure BEV's became available, and possibly one reason why BEV's are now outselling PHEV's in the US.

I'm also anticipating the Rex on the i3 will be pretty unrefined, in terms of NVH, especially compared to a Volt.

noxon said:
Personally I'd be inclined to avoid the Rex version just to avoid the associated maintenance. It's one of the reasons the Volt stopped appealing to me once pure BEV's became available, and possibly one reason why BEV's are now outselling PHEV's in the US.

I'm also anticipating the Rex on the i3 will be pretty unrefined, in terms of NVH, especially compared to a Volt.

Yes there will be more maintenance, but as an installation I think its much more straight forward than the Volt ...no gears... no connection to the road wheels. It will require the maintenance of a generator which I can't imagine will much. I'm glad they are offering it, you're glad its available without ..... that's the benefit of making it an option.

For someone like me who has not had an EV before the Rex offers a reassuring stepping stone to a full EV

BTW I think the engine will be soundproofed to hell .... mine shouldn't come on that often but when it does I don't want it to spoil the peace of the cabin.

Latest posts

Back