Public Charging Cable

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not certain, but I have ordered my EVSE from British Gas and specified an untethered cable with the ‘hope’ that I can use it for public charging. However, it is just a ‘hope’!

jamie94bc said:
Any alternatives to the £165 offering by BMW? Seems a little much considering you get a whole wallbox for £315!

Remember the Wallbox is subsidised, the cable isn't.

Wallbox is £680 I think... rest is installation - I suppose you could argue a 1/4 of the cost is the tethered cable...

The cable should have definitely been included with the car - does the Leaf come with one as standard?

I think the new Leafs with the 6kW option come with the cable as standard, but without the 13A EVSE charger. The latter costs a lot more than the cable.

Don’t forget that a few organisations offer free wall boxes (EVSE) inc - Polar at http://www.polarnetwork.com and British Gas via the link at the bottom of the Polar page.

Okay so if the standard 13amp charger is more expensive than a public charging cable, then perhaps they should have given the option between the two?

If the BMW cable is 5 metres then £165 is the usual price- if it's only 3m then it's overpriced by about £30. I'm pretty sure it's a 5m cable, though.

Back