Question about interior button lights on after car is off

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btoast

Hello everyone,

I picked up an i3 about a week ago and just did some minor coding tonight (Enable AM, Start in Eco Plus, and Full 2.4 fuel tank) and after I completed my coding, which went pretty well aside from the date being cleared for some reason, I noticed that when I lock the car all the lights turn off EXCEPT the start/stop button and the orange pulse around it, the hazard button, and the dial for head lamps is also lit.

Is that normal? I don't remember them staying lit.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I would assume all lights go out with the exception of the flashing light on the mirror indicating the alarm is active.

Thanks.

eneka said:
Yup its normal. Every BMW does this, even the non-i's :)

Thanks. I never took the time to look in the car when it was off, so it kind of freaked me out. None of my Audis did that.

Also, have you heard of the car getting a information (or something like that) fault when coding where everything is reset (clock, trip, etc. . .)?

I had that happen when changing over to the larger fuel tank setting. At first when I shut the car off then turned it back on it would show the parking brake symbol on the main dash and state that date needed to be set under it, while the larger screen displayed a note saying there was a malfunction and to see a service rep.

Once I went into the settings and set the date, the car went back to normal. However, my trip and the range estimates were reset (it said I could go 100 miles on the full charge and 100 miles on gas). I drove the car around the block and punched it a few times to bring everything back to a normal range of 70e/67gas on the comfort setting.

I thought that was weird, and, to be honest, scared me enough to stop coding for the night. I still want to add the charge hold.

AFAIK it's normal, coding some systems will reset them. I had to redo my clock too. And I think it's showing the error because it lost communications with the cluster when it restarted.

When you coded for the larger gas tank, the module that you coded controls the control panel display (not the infotainment display). By coding that module, you effectively reset the data in that module - range, trip odometer, time/date, etc. You get the error messages because the module has been re-initialized. Set the date and everything should be fine.

eneka said:
AFAIK it's normal, coding some systems will reset them. I had to redo my clock too. And I think it's showing the error because it lost communications with the cluster when it restarted.

Jeffj said:
When you coded for the larger gas tank, the module that you coded controls the control panel display (not the infotainment display). By coding that module, you effectively reset the data in that module - range, trip odometer, time/date, etc. You get the error messages because the module has been re-initialized. Set the date and everything should be fine.

Thanks to the both of you. I'm glad everything is going as designed. So far I am loving the i3. My first BMW and it has impressed me so far.

Some cars are designed by committee, and it shows. BMW tends to be designed with a particular philosophy about what it should do, and people are often very passionate about trying to maintain the design goal. The i3 was designed from the ground up with a particular goal. You may or may not agree with the outcome, but it is not a product of random thoughts! THey tend to sweat the details - one reason they cost what they do, and once you experience it, assuming you agree with the goal, it becomes quite satisfying, and people become passionate about the vehicle.

Latest posts

Back