Questions and clarifications

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholai

I'm usually pretty good at finding answers to questions on the internet, but there are a few that I just can't seem to find or that I would like clarification on. I think a lot of them can be answered by people that are simply already owners.

1. Mega i3s - I understand no Comfort Access, but I can't find images or a video of starting the engine in a Mega. I just want to know/see where you put the key.

2. DC fast charging - In simple terms, with DC fast charging on an i3, you get two ports: One "regular" port and a "DC Fast Charging" port, right? And the idea is that you'd use the "regular" port with your home level 2 EVSE or a compatible public station (few and far between, from what I understand) and you'd use the "DC Fast Charging" port at all the other stations (more common). Is that about correct?

3. Parking sensors - I just want to confirm that there are no parking sensors by default and that I either have to get the full parking package (camera, sensors, park assist) or nothing, right?

4. Are any of you apartment dwellers that wouldn't mind sharing your story with me? I'm asking because I'd like to know what other apartment renters have done. Are you just living with public stations and making due with slow charging at home? If you have an EVSE, what did the installation process look like for you?

Thanks for any information you all can provide!

1. All newer BMWs have RF ignition like comfort access. No key slot, once you unlock the door, the key can stay in your pocket. Same with mega i3, push the start button next to the shifter and you're ready to go.

2. The 'combo' has the L1/L2 up top and right below for the DC fast charger. L2 charging stations are much more common than the much faster but rare DC fast chargers. Max 7.4kwh from L2 = 3 hours to full, vs L3 DCFC at 25-30 minutes to 80%.

3. Mega base has rear parking sensors only stock. Park pkg has camera, front&rear plus autonomous parking

1. I believe comfort access refers to the car automatically unlocking based on your proximity, so Mega owners have to manually press the button on the key to unlock/lock the doors. Not a huge deal if you haven't already been spoiled by comfort access yet.

Comfort Access doesn't unlock automatically by proximity, but it unlocks the doors or hatch when you grab the handle if the key is close by. To lock the doors, one must touch the ribbed area on the outside of the door handle with the key close by.

I believe Comfort Access also adds LED illumination of the door handles at night.

I live in an apartment that I own with no plans to sell anytime soon, so I was willing to pay the cost of having an EV charging circuit installed in one of my parking spaces. I had both 120V and 208V circuits installed so that I could use the occasional use EVSE if my Level 2 EVSE was broken, but I wouldn't spend the money on a 120V circuit if I had it to do over again. Obtaining the commercial building permit required for the installation of my charging circuits was a 15-month nightmare, but your local permitting agency might not be as ridiculous as mine.

pancakes213 said:
...so Mega owners have to manually press the button on the key to unlock/lock the doors. Not a huge deal if you haven't already been spoiled by comfort access yet.

My other car is a 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL550 that unlocks/locks the door when you touch the handle. Didn't realize the Mega didn't come with this and being used to having it on the SL I really do miss it on the i3...I know, first-world problem :)

My Mega i3 does have the LED illumination but that may have been part of some package. From what I understand you can only get the touch lock/unlock in the two higher trim levels. I think it should be standard or included with one of the packages instead of trim level.

I am also disappointed that it doesn't have blind spot warning indicators in the side mirrors like the SL.

Back