Quit following - start leading

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jadnashuanh said:
FWIW, the type of batteries used in the i3 are technically superior to those in the Tesla.
Them's fight'n words for the many Tesla Model S owners on this site, as Tesla does not disclose any of the details of its battery technology, mass specific density, or volume specific density as does BMW. The "Magic" sauce Tesla applies to Panasonic's everyday consumer battery is paramount to Tesla's mystique and success on Wall Street.

i3Alan said:
What you are missing is that the over-the-air (OTA) SW update feature of the MS is one security hole the i3 does not have, but do not discount the very numerous other holes found in these cars. Since access inside the vehicle is so easy when one is able to get to the car (for someone knowledgable, such as a competent car thief, less than a minute without breaking a window), neither car is particularly secure. If you have possession of the car, you don't need OTA update to do whatever damage you can do with OTA. Besides, OTA really is more secure than you might think, if properly implemented with well understood security protocols. It does not require military grade security to do the job very well.
What you are missing is that such a hack on an i3 would need to take place by breaking and entering each vehicle individually - an incredible waste of time for an enterprising criminal.

Hacking into the entire fleet of Tesla Model S's would take only an hour or two by nerds sitting at their laptops, as proven by a couple of college kids. Should an enterprising criminal wish to hire them out for more mischief, it would only take a couple more bucks to ground, (or perhaps destroy) every one of them.

I recognize everyone's frustration with having to bring their i3 into the dealer for software updates, and that I am in the minority of those that fully agree with BMW's approach, but you cannot argue with the fact that it is a far more secure manner to update your vehicle's software.

jadnashuanh said:
FWIW, the type of batteries used in the i3 are technically superior to those in the Tesla and is one reason why BMW's warranty on them is better.
How is BMW's 8yr / 100,000 mile warranty better than Tesla's 8yrs / unlimited mile warranty?

jadnashuanh said:
The i3 always runs in electric mode...the REx never provides propulsion directly, only to charge the batteries. A hybrid can use the ICE to propel the car, so the i3 REx is not truly a hybrid, it's a new class of electric vehicle - a range assisted electric car.
It's actually a very old class of electric vehicle. The REx uses the same system as virtually every train locomotive in the country; a system first put into general use in the 1930's. An ICE engine drives a generator which powers an electric motor. Locomotives use a diesel engine, the REx uses a gas engie to save weight, but it's the same system design, definitely not a break through in propulsion. It's also the same approach as a Chevy Volt, just a different mix of battery and gas tank size.

BMW certainly improved on the Chevy Volt, which is why the i3 costs about $12,000 more, but it's not innovative technology or a new class of vehicle. The Volt went into production over 3 years ago.

If you consider the REx using its ICE in range extension mode to be an electric car, then presumably you also consider the trains to be electric trains.

Boatguy said:
How is BMW's 8yr / 100,000 mile warranty better than Tesla's 8yrs / unlimited mile warranty?
BMW warranties the battery to 70% SOC. Tesla specifically declines to warranty any capacity. If a Tesla can motor only 1/10 th of a mile after 8 years, no warranty replacement would be required. The BMW i3, on the other hand, would have to motor you at least 56.7 miles of EPA range.

Smart thinking on both manufacturers' parts.

Telsa allows owners full access to the battery pack's capacity so that they can post staggeringly high range values, knowing that only a few idiots will actually run them to capacity and therefore prematurely degrade them.

BMW keeps it tight, knowing that owners will more frequently run the battery pack out (particularly REx owners), and imposes a 13% reserve that cannot be tampered with. EPA range suffers, but the battery pack does not - hence the 70% "state of health" warranty.

ultraturtle said:
Hacking into the entire fleet of Tesla Model S's would take only an hour or two by nerds sitting at their laptops, as proven by a couple of college kids. Should an enterprising criminal wish to hire them out for more mischief, it would only take a couple more bucks to ground, (or perhaps destroy) every one of them.
If it's so easy to hack into an OTA update system, then why hasn't every iPhone in the world, and there are 60M - 80M of them out there, been disabled or pillaged? Surely there must be a criminal gang somewhere in the world who would find that attractive target and worthy of the hour or two effort plus a "couple more bucks" you suggest it would require.

Maybe OTA updates are a little more secure than you give them credit for being?

Boatguy said:
If it's so easy to hack into an OTA update system, then why hasn't every iPhone in the world, and there are 60M - 80M of them out there, been disabled or pillaged?...
Are you seriously suggesting that these Chinese students did not hack into the Tesla Model S?

ultraturtle said:
Boatguy said:
BMW warranties the battery to 70% SOC. Tesla specifically declines to warranty any capacity. If a Tesla can motor only 1/10 th of a mile after 8 years, no warranty replacement would be required. The BMW i3, on the other hand, would have to motor you at least 56.7 miles of EPA range.

Smart thinking on both manufacturers' parts.

Telsa allows owners full access to the battery pack's capacity so that they can post staggeringly high range values, knowing that only a few idiots will actually run them to capacity and therefore prematurely degrade them.

BMW keeps it tight, knowing that owners will more frequently run the battery pack out (particularly REx owners), and imposes a 13% reserve that cannot be tampered with. EPA range suffers, but the battery pack does not - hence the 70% "state of health" warranty.
True, Tesla does not state an SOC. That said, there is nothing in the way they have treated customers this far to suggest that their intent is to defraud their customers in the manner you suggest.

ultraturtle said:
Boatguy said:
If it's so easy to hack into an OTA update system, then why hasn't every iPhone in the world, and there are 60M - 80M of them out there, been disabled or pillaged?...
Are you seriously suggesting that they haven't?
Yes. But I'm open to being educated.

Please show the me documented cases of a iPhones being hacked via the OTA update capability. They've certainly been hacked on 1 by 1 basis, and by downloading jail break apps, etc. But I'm not aware of an OTA exploit.

ultraturtle said:
Boatguy said:
Are you seriously suggesting that these Chinese students did not hack into the Tesla Model S?
The fact that they hacked into the Tesla is well documented, but the exploit was never disclosed and it has never been suggested that it was through the OTA facility. I suspect the app API was the more likely point of entry.

Boatguy said:
True, Tesla does not state an SOC. That said, there is nothing in the way they have treated customers this far to suggest that their intent is to defraud their customers in the manner you suggest.
I cannot find a reference to any suggestion on my part that Tesla defrauded their customers. Please forward once you find it, and I will address it.

I did state that by allowing customer access to the full battery capacity in order to bump up their EPA range (unlike other manufactures that limit access to both the top and bottom of that capacity in order ensure battery pack longevity) that they are shrewd in declining to offer a capacity warranty. They state the fact clearly in their warranty, with no intent to defraud:

The Battery, like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual energy or power loss with time and use. Loss of Battery energy or power over time or due to or resulting from Battery usage, is NOT covered under this Battery Limited Warranty. See your owner documentation for important information on how to maximize the life and capacity of the Battery.
Again. Shrewd. Not defrauding.

Boatguy said:
The fact that they hacked into the Tesla is well documented, but the exploit was never disclosed and it has never been suggested that it was through the OTA facility. I suspect the app API was the more likely point of entry.
Yeah, one does not offer a $10,000 reward for, lest be embarrassed by it only taking a few hours for a hack into an incredibly insecure system, only to be embarrassed publicly by how easy it was to do. Nevertheless, CNET revealed that it probably took place OTA via the mobile app:

The security firm declined to reveal details at this point about how the hack was accomplished, although one report indicated that the hackers cracked the six-digit code for the Model S' mobile app.
http://www.cnet.com/news/chinese-hackers-take-command-of-tesla-model-s/

My favorite quote of the article:

The Sina Weibo post warned Tesla drivers to "be careful" when driving in the rain, to avoid becoming a "drowned rat" in case the sunroof suddenly opens.

ultraturtle said:
I cannot find a reference to any suggestion on my part that Tesla defrauded their customers. Please forward once you find it, and I will address it.
ultraturtle said:
If a Tesla can motor only 1/10 th of a mile after 8 years, no warranty replacement would be required.
My belief is if Tesla did as you suggest that that would be defrauding its customers.

But this is getting way to personal and adversarial and I'm not comfortable with it.

I perceived this topic as being between the OP (myself) and BMW, not the OP and other owners. My original post was my message to BMW. The whole digression into Tesla vs BMW is something that could be in some other topic but it's not part of the message I personally would like to send to BMW. You can send BMW your own message with your own thread within this topic.

ultraturtle said:
Boatguy said:
Yeah, one does not offer a $10,000 reward for, lest be embarrassed by it only taking a few hours for a hack into an incredibly insecure system, only to be embarrassed publicly by how easy it was to do. Nevertheless, CNET revealed that it probably took place OTA via the mobile app:

The security firm declined to reveal details at this point about how the hack was accomplished, although one report indicated that the hackers cracked the six-digit code for the Model S' mobile app.
http://www.cnet.com/news/chinese-hackers-take-command-of-tesla-model-s/

My favorite quote of the article:

The Sina Weibo post warned Tesla drivers to "be careful" when driving in the rain, to avoid becoming a "drowned rat" in case the sunroof suddenly opens.
We're in violent agreement. It was probably the app API, and not the OTA firmware update mechanism that provided the exploit. And of course both BMW and Tesla have an app API. App API exploits do not implicitly demonstrate the vulnerability of the OTA protocol.

#Teslahack I almost bought a Model S last month and spent a lot of time at the showroom talking with the sales guy. The Chinese hack was a point of humor at the showroom--when I mentioned it, I got a response of the Tesla guys all looking at each other and chuckling. They were relatively forthright about the situation and relayed that the hack was done "within proximity, they had line of sight of the car". That is an immensely important differentiator when thinking about compromising Tesla OTA update system. As someone here said--there's no product line that has been completely, entirely hacked. That would generally require Mission Impossible style breaking into a data center to gain physical access to the servers running the system. Otherwise on the information front at Tesla, they either didn't have more information or weren't going to say.

On the original topic, it would be great to see more come out of the Tesla/BMW meeting back in June as to them working together. Tesla and BMW are both absolutely iterrating on innovating in their own areas--combing the two for the benefit of moving EVs forward would be epic.

Boatguy said:
But this is getting way to personal and adversarial and I'm not comfortable with it.

I perceived this topic as being between the OP (myself) and BMW, not the OP and other owners. My original post was my message to BMW. The whole digression into Tesla vs BMW is something that could be in some other topic but it's not part of the message I personally would like to send to BMW. You can send BMW your own message with your own thread within this topic.

But the subject title is confrontational, and does not mention the very narrow focus of your point - software. So it's not a surprise to me that this topic has strayed.

I sent my own message to BMW in this thread and I'll repeat it. If there is a software update it should be rolled out to everyone, not just those with specific problems that mean their cars are in the dealer for inspection. Without doing that you have no configuration control and without that you really don't know where you are when people report issues.

Bill

Bunter said:
I sent my own message to BMW in this thread and I'll repeat it. If there is a software update it should be rolled out to everyone, not just those with specific problems that mean their cars are in the dealer for inspection. Without doing that you have no configuration control and without that you really don't know where you are when people report issues.

Bill

AKA the Android (phone OS) problem. Millions of devices running dozens of different versions of software. Without standardization in technology (hardware and software), progress is hindered.

elptex said:
Bunter said:

Bill

AKA the Android (phone OS) problem. Millions of devices running dozens of different versions of software. Without standardization in technology (hardware and software), progress is hindered.
+1

Boatguy said:
ultraturtle said:
ultraturtle said:
If a Tesla can motor only 1/10 th of a mile after 8 years, no warranty replacement would be required.
My belief is if Tesla did as you suggest that that would be defrauding its customers.

If you really want to send BMW a message the best way is:

[email protected]

This forum is not sponsored by BMW.

Boatguy said:
BMW, you are playing catch up in EVs. You need to run faster and get out in front. Case in point:
http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/20/tesla...without-keyfobs-with-v6-0-update/#more-336883
The OP contends that BMW is somehow playing catch up to a particular manufacturer (Tesla), using the example that Tesla will soon be enabling the ability for owners to start their cars using an iPhone app. I mean no disrespect to Tesla's innovation by adding capabilities to its app, just pointing out that BMW has chosen to favor security over features. It is one thing for a hacker to easily gain remote control of the car's door locks, headlights, wipers, sunroof, and horn, it appears Tesla will soon be adding the potential vulnerability to start (and hopefully not stop) the vehicle as well. My observation would be that BMW chooses to not provide such feature out of concern for security, and it has nothing to do with "catching up".

As posted previously, we can probably all agree that the Tesla Model S is superior to the BMW i3 in several ways, but in my opinion, the BMW i3 is superior to the Tesla Model S in many ways, and I respectfully disagree with the assertion that the BMW i3 is somehow drastically behind in the EV innovation race. I would hope honorable disagreement and debate (pretty much the best reason to participate in a forum in the first place) would not be mistaken for personal attacks. In my opinion, BMW and Tesla lead the rest of the industry by a significant margin in their investment and innovation, and I hope to see great things result from their collaberation.

ultraturtle said:
As posted previously, we can probably all agree that the Tesla Model S is superior to the BMW i3 in several ways, but in my opinion, the BMW i3 is superior to the Tesla Model S in many ways, and I respectfully disagree with the assertion that the BMW i3 is somehow drastically behind in the EV innovation race. I would hope honorable disagreement and debate (pretty much the best reason to participate in a forum in the first place) would not be mistaken for personal attacks. In my opinion, BMW and Tesla lead the rest of the industry by a significant margin in their investment and innovation, and I hope to see great things result from their collaberation.

+1 Good post ultraturtle, and I agree.

I admire both vehicles for different reasons but the i3 is the one I choose to buy because of the design choices, construction innovation and the resulting efficiency.

From the spacs of the prototype compact Tesla aired so far, I can't see Tesla coming close to the i3 efficiency anytime soon.

Back