Range Test and ReX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gif

So just to test the range on the 94ah and to make sure everything functioned as it should on my new baby, I decided to go for a ride and ignore all the warning bells and whistles.

Set off at about 14c this morning, pre-conditioned and 100% SoC. EcoPro+ mode operational at start then switched to comfort after an hour or so as it warmed up. Mix of motorway (60mph), fast A roads and rural stuff. Eventually ran out of juice after 125 electric miles which is almost bang on what it said when I drove away in the morning.

Programmed Sat Nav home once I was far enough (read too far) away and the system warned me I couldn't get home on electric and started suggesting I search for charging points. I ignored the warning and carried on driving.

ReX indicator switched on automatically at 6.5% SoC as expected. It was a bit hairy though as it appears to take the ReX a little time to warm up during which I assume it's not producing full power. So my hitherto unseen range anxiety started up in earnest as driving at 56mph on cruise, I watched the SoC fall from 6.5% to 6.0% to 5.5% to 5.0% then 4.5% and eventually 4.0%. By this time I was beginning to wonder if ReX had fallen out on the driveway before I'd left home :?

Anyway, eventually things started to settle down and after a few downhill stretches of motorway, the SoC had managed to touch 6.5% again. As has been noted elsewhere, the ReX appears to only try to hold the SoC at 6.5%, not add to it even when it possibly could.

Got home and switched off at which point the car immediately warned me not to leave it with low SoC for any length of time so shoving some juice in at the mo to lift the SoC to a more reasonable level. I plugged it in to the charger but left the departure times and low cost charging set as normal. The car commenced charging as soon as I plugged in but has now paused after attaining 12%.

I know many of you will have been through all that lot before but I thought it may be useful insight for new owners or those non US owners used to not seeing the 6.5% limit.

The ReX takes around 6 minutes to warm up when it's only producing around 6kW. Once it's warm ( it does this for emissions purposes as much as engine life) then it will go from 2200/2400rpm to 3600rpm, 4400, 4800 or 5000rpm depending on state of charge.
It is possible to increase the SOC if you have the car coded although it depends upon the hills - often, with the ReX running you can gain energy from regen. When at the bottom of the hill turn off ReX then turn on again and it will reset to new hold value.

Back